K-Tec performance upgrade?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I don't really like the idea of messing around with a nearly standard car, but I do like the idea of the K-Tec Clio 2rs Performance pack 1. Basically just a panel filter and a remap.
Given that I've got a handmade aftermarket exhaust system, perhaps a remap might be a good idea.
Can always put it back to standard I'm sure.

Anyone have any experience with the upgrade or thinking of doing it?
Sacrilege to tinker with a Trophy?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
From what I understand, they put it on a rolling road before and after, and the remap is individual to every car.
Possibly benefit from some kind of decarbonisation beforehand?

Reaction score
Other option would be an ITG or K&N panel filter, then put a RS Tuner 98 RON map on there and get the benefit of diagnostics too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm probably not the best person to talk to regarding modifying the Trophy but I don't see mild modifications as being too much of an issue. A few guys 'n' gals on here have gone down that route (OEM+) and enhanced their Trophys that way. Of course, the purists (or those who view the Trophy as little more than an investment opportunity) may well think very differently! That said, the standard exhaust is rubbish and heavy so I think upgrading that is a good thing anyway. (Oh, look at that... I have an exhaust for sale come to think of it...) :p

The Performance Pack you highlight will only offer very mild gains (if any). The remap might be a good idea though as it can result in better power delivery and improved drivability. I'm not going to kick-off on whether or not you should use K-Tec for a remap; it's been the point of many a discussion and/or argument over the years and - personally - I would look elsewhere. I'm sure things have moved on and improved over the years but they would not be my first choice for that side of things.

Yes, they will do a before and after run on the dyno to show the improvements. These results often have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Some dynos can be 'generous' and no tuner wants to show their product(s) in a bad light, hence sometimes the documented gains may be higher than their real-world impact.

This level of modification is easily reversible though (as you say) so I wouldn't be too concerned about upsetting the Trophy purists :)

Maybe take a look as the RS Tuner option as well. As for decarbonisation... nope, not needed.

Reaction score
I agree a decent panel filter is a worth it. Even just for cost reasons over the next few years.

I had a k-Tec induction kit on mine. Just loved the sound over the standard set up.

A remap on the rollers or live mapping on the road is a good way of going just to optimize your cars settings.

I had Dan@Sjm do my trophy mapping.

Reaction score
Have you looked at the remap offered by EFI in Widnes?
They are highly reccomended and offer a dyno remap at £169 based on a standard engine.
This is something I am hoping to do this year if funds allow.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm probably not the best person to talk to regarding modifying the Trophy but I don't see mild modifications as being too much of an issue. A few guys 'n' gals on here have gone down that route (OEM+) and enhanced their Trophys that way. Of course, the purists (or those who view the Trophy as little more than an investment opportunity) may well think very differently! That said, the standard exhaust is rubbish and heavy so I think upgrading that is a good thing anyway. (Oh, look at that... I have an exhaust for sale come to think of it...) :tongueout:

The Performance Pack you highlight will only offer very mild gains (if any). The remap might be a good idea though as it can result in better power delivery and improved drivability. I'm not going to kick-off on whether or not you should use K-Tec for a remap; it's been the point of many a discussion and/or argument over the years and - personally - I would look elsewhere. I'm sure things have moved on and improved over the years but they would not be my first choice for that side of things.

Yes, they will do a before and after run on the dyno to show the improvements. These results often have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Some dynos can be 'generous' and no tuner wants to show their product(s) in a bad light, hence sometimes the documented gains may be higher than their real-world impact.

This level of modification is easily reversible though (as you say) so I wouldn't be too concerned about upsetting the Trophy purists :smile:

Maybe take a look as the RS Tuner option as well. As for decarbonisation... nope, not needed.

Good to know - I'm not particularly interested in a big power hike, more improved power delivery. Not being technically minded, I'm basing my ideas on the assumption that with a handmade exhaust system, a remap of some kind would probably be of benefit.

I'll have a look around for other remap options too.
I've heard different opinions about decarbonisation from 'your engine is old, so decarbonising will result in retrieving lost power' to 'it could do some damage to your engine'. I'd really rather not do it, so I think it best to leave well alone.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Have you looked at the remap offered by EFI in Widnes?
They are highly reccomended and offer a dyno remap at £169 based on a standard engine.
This is something I am hoping to do this year if funds allow.
I'll check them out, fairly close to me.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I agree a decent panel filter is a worth it. Even just for cost reasons over the next few years.

I had a k-Tec induction kit on mine. Just loved the sound over the standard set up.

A remap on the rollers or live mapping on the road is a good way of going just to optimize your cars settings.

I had Dan@Sjm do my trophy mapping.

Will check them out too. Seems like a panel filter and live map is the way to go.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Good to know - I'm not particularly interested in a big power hike, more improved power delivery. Not being technically minded, I'm basing my ideas on the assumption that with a handmade exhaust system, a remap of some kind would probably be of benefit.

I'll have a look around for other remap options too.
I've heard different opinions about decarbonisation from 'your engine is old, so decarbonising will result in retrieving lost power' to 'it could do some damage to your engine'. I'd really rather not do it, so I think it best to leave well alone.
Yes, I would agree that a 'personalised' remap is the better option and it's the route I would take (and, indeed, have taken in the past). Whilst an exhaust doesn't make a huge difference to performance on these cars one way or another, it is a major part of its breathing so there's no harm in having the car map tweaked to maximise any potential benefits (whether for economy and/or performance).

As you are close to EFI then I would recommend a trip over. They have a decent reputation and folks travel from near and far to make use of their services. You are clearly realistic in that you are not expecting, or looking for, a big power hike but you will likely notice a difference in the way the car drives following a remap.

Good call on the de-carb; I would leave alone as there really is no need on these F4R engines. The only real damage is to your wallet as it's unnecessary! :) I'd put that money towards the panel filter and remap :)

Reaction score
Yeah the decarbon thing should be a waste on these engines as they should be run on super unleaded.

Efi is a dam good call.