Reaction score
My Janspeed which was fitted by Rentech about 3 weeks ago has developed a rattle. It started yesterday and sounds like metal tapping on metal. It happens at all speeds over 10 mph or so but is intermittent. Hard cornering in both directions evokes the rattle further.

I took it in to Kwik Fit this morning on the way to work and they got it up on the ramps... They found nothing to cause the rattle... Strange... One thing they did point out was that the exhaust was blowing from the middle section but this would not cause the rattling. They suggested that I take the car to Renault to put some paste on the blowing area and to diagnose the cause of the rattle.

Any thoughts? The mounts all look good and when Kwik Fit shook the exhaust at all points there was no rattle. We were all a bit stumped!

Tom.

Day

Reaction score
Check the clamp around the cat and the centre section.

Having driven around a hypermarket carpark in france with the cat hanging off I know how crap those 182 exhausts are...

Reaction score
ooo eerrr, just nearly ordered one of these for my soon to be arriving trophy!

just out of interest, where did you buy it from?

hope you cure the rattle, i have dropped some coins under the seat in the VX - it rattles like hell against the bare aluminium chassis. soooo annoying.

Reaction score
7MAT said:
Did you check the exhaust heat shields? Apparently these are prone to coming loose and causing a knocking / vibration sound.

Sounds like it could be those... Sorry for being dumb but where are they? Is it just a nut a bolt to check?

Reaction score
T7PHY said:
7MAT said:
Did you check the exhaust heat shields? Apparently these are prone to coming loose and causing a knocking / vibration sound.

Sounds like it could be those... Sorry for being dumb but where are they? Is it just a nut a bolt to check?

There are heat shields all the way down the exhaust tunnel, any bit of silvered sheet metal bolted to the chassis is a heat shield. Because of the different shape and design of the Janspeed, this is most probably the cause of the rattle, which is good news because they can be bent about a fair bit without needing to modify them.

Reaction score
The good news is that the fault is fixed! It was indeed a heatshield problem... All sorted by SMC Renault in St Johns, Woking. Good place and did it for free too.

Well impressed with their service.

Thanks for all the advice guys! This place rocks.

Tom.