Reaction score
ive just brought a maxogen kit for the t paid £250 from a friend who just lost his job. its from his silver 182 but hes only had it on the car for 2 weeks. im giving him my viper kit to use. i was in a good mood to give this away, gotta help your mates. so hopefully get it fitted very soon. what was strange is that he said you dont need to use the caf pipe , and he was told this by a member from itg. am i missin something here? yeah it might sond louder but youll lose power surley. can anybody answer this and out of the maxogen owners who has the caf and who dosent

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Your more likely to loose power WITH a caf on a maxogen imo. Its pointed behind the headlight so theres plenty of cold air. If i were you I'd just have one pointing at it, fed down to the scoop at the bottom.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I dont have a CAF fitted.

A properly designed ram-air induction can add power at high speeds by lightly pressurising the inlet system.

Unless it is fitted in the right place they can actually block flow by creating a pressure area right in front of the CAF and as far as I am aware there have been no accurate back to back testing of the kit fitted with/without a CAF or even where to locate it. Also if ITG have recommended not to fit one then I wouldn't bother fitting one, unless you have a few hours dyno time booked and are willing to do some testing to find out.

Ben

Reaction score
I've got an ITG Maxogen fitted to mine now thanks to Aucky! and I haven't bothered fitting a cold air feed to it. Like aucky said theres plenty of cold air coming through from the space behind the headlight. I think if you fitted a CAF you'll be loosing out on a lot of cold air as you'r effectively causing a narrower channel to feed the box, which could in effect cause air feed restrictions.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
If you have removed the acuostic valve and the old induction hoses and look down the gap behind the headlight you will notice there are some grooves to direct cold air from the bottom of the engine bay and is where the original induction hose was located. I would say there is an adequate amount of cold air directed to the filter coming from this area but if you insist on fitting a CAF purely to direct cold air to the filter and not force air into it then I would install it facing the grooves at the bottom.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
ben182trophy said:
what was strange is that he said you dont need to use the caf pipe , and he was told this by a member from itg.

This confirms whaty I was told a couple of years ago, though I was always uncertain.

Reaction score
My current setup is samco induction pipe and v6 airbox. I found this setup a lot better than original. I then installed a caf located where my fog light used to be, when the caf was clamped onto the airbox it seemed to be slightly down on power, I still have the caf but its now an inch or 2 from the airbox, not directly clamped. I don't really think it gives any gains so might just remove it and pop my fog back in.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
ed55j said:
My current setup is samco induction pipe and v6 airbox. I found this setup a lot better than original. I then installed a caf located where my fog light used to be, when the caf was clamped onto the airbox it seemed to be slightly down on power, I still have the caf but its now an inch or 2 from the airbox, not directly clamped. I don't really think it gives any gains so might just remove it and pop my fog back in.

To get any benefit from caf it really needs to be located at a point of high pressure and the general consensus seems to be the fog is not one although nobody has really been able to get on top of where they are. IIRC the Clio cup cars had them located in the headlight hole, not really an option for us.

Reaction score
when i take the maxogen off me mates car and get it fitted i will not use the CAF . is it better to have acuostic valve removed to get more air in or just leave it as it is? i know some people have removed it but only to put CAF down there

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
its not used when you fit the Maxogen, in the original air box there are 2 feeds, one has the acoustic valve attached, you may as well remove it if it will not be doing anything but up to you. I think it may be in the way slightly of the air flow but cant remember.

Ben

Reaction score
i could get it removed that would take some weight out the car. no point in something in there not doing anything. BEN G have you had the acuostic valve removed?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah I took it out when I fitted the Maxogen. You have to remove the wheel arch to get to it, there is a thread on how to do it somewhere on here.

Ben