Reaction score
I currently run a Saab 9-3 and normally lurk on Scoobynet, have had a few sportier cars such as a Volvo T5, Fiat Coupe Turbo, Golf GTI's, Rover BRM etc.

My Saab is nearing 100,000 and hasn't got aircon so I fancy a change, I have been eyeing up the 172 and 182 for years now, especially when they were 11 grand on Motorpoint but couldnt quite afford one.

I am starting a new job (IT Contract) which is an 18 mile commute which will be six months, but possibly I may end up doing bigger mileages, so I don't really want to get something that will drive me mad with noise, rock hard suspension and iffy driving position, the Saab is great as its fairly fast, very comfy and quiet, it isnt what you could call fun or any good at corners !

So, seeing as the old Clio has stopped being made in favour of the 197 (which doesnt grab me) I thought I may as well look at the ultimate version of the old model.

So,

1/ How much will I need to pay for a low mileage one that hasnt spent its life on a track covered in graphics, as per the one on Pistonheads.

2/ What is the reliability like, I can cope with niggles but failing to start would cost me money !

3/ MPG, the Saab does 31, I am thinking the Clio should improve on that on my A road commute, not that bothered about it, just helps to sell it to the wife.

4/ Size, I am over six foot tall and sixteen stone, will I be able to get comfortable.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
J4CKO said:
1/ How much will I need to pay for a low mileage one that hasnt spent its life on a track covered in graphics, as per the one on Pistonheads.
around £10-11k
J4CKO said:
2/ What is the reliability like, I can cope with niggles but failing to start would cost me money !
see the "problems with your trophy" thread, very few have reported serious niggles.

J4CKO said:
3/ MPG, the Saab does 31, I am thinking the Clio should improve on that on my A road commute, not that bothered about it, just helps to sell it to the wife.
I get 34mpg in a combo of sprited driving and motorway miles, you can get over 40mpg if you try hard. (not much fun though)

J4CKO said:
4/ Size, I am over six foot tall and sixteen stone, will I be able to get comfortable.
I'm 6'3'' and I believe steve (the mod) is 6'7'' or something like that. I'm comfortable.

Reaction score
Price: As per Cue for a stock car, slightly more if you want everything.

Miles: I did a commute on the M1 for a while (London -> Newark and back once a week) without any problems. In fact I quite like the support of the seats and the 'pit lane' limiter. The economy was better than my 330ci.

All in all - no regrets for me (and no problems).

O.

Reaction score
Do a search - basically it is a cruise control with a difference :)

You set your speed and drive as per normal but the car won't allow you to exceed it (unless you de-activate it by pressing really hard on the loud pedal).

O.

Reaction score
J4CKO said:
So, seeing as the old Clio has stopped being made in favour of the 197 (which doesnt grab me) I thought I may as well look at the ultimate version of the old model.

First off, it's the ultimate version of any Clio. The 197 just doesn't really compare as a pure driver's car and can't even hold off the new competition from Vauxhall and Mini FFS. The Trophy held off everything this side of a Ferrari F430 and Ford GT.

So,

£10.5K -£12K for a good one that's in perfect condition.

Mine has never not started and I don't think many of the owners on here have ever broken down (I can think of about three reports in the year I've been on this site). It has a few niggles but I'd say on the whole it's a load more reliable than a Saab 9-3.

I'm seeing about 28mpg at the moment because I'm driving it properly on proper roads, but I used to get 38-40mpg when I was commuting 25 miles a day. It's very easy to get 350 miles out of the 45 litre tank if you want to, and also very easy to get 100 if you want to (track it!)

I am according to the EU, a giant, at 2.00 metres (6'7") and 16 stone and I fit comfortably. It has more leg and head room than the BMW 5 series I drove for work or my Mum's Mondeo. The seats are fantastic, I sometimes get lower back pain because of my height but never from driving the Trophy, I've done 7 hours driving straight without getting sore.

and lastly, buy one, best decision you'll make this year, promise.

Reaction score
In terms of niggles, i have had nothing more serious that having the oxygen sensor replaced when engine light came on, this was fixed within an hour by local steeler and with warranty on nearly all of them still for another year and a half you should be fine with things gettting replaced if your unfortunate enough to get a problem.

I'd go for it..... you'll love it

TRL

Reaction score
Buy Mike30's car - on pistonheads, reduced to £11000. Done 7K I think, keep it a year and sell it for £10K.
But I bet you end up keeping it once you realise that this car is so sweet.
None of your concerns will materialise with this car, and once you discover that weight is the enemy, you will struggle to buy another car that handles like it.