Is My Clio Cleverer Than I Thought? Or Is It Just Broken?

G

My car has a strange problem with the radio: it won't work on Essex FM. Now, some would ask why I would want to listen to such useless music, but I quite like Martin and Sue and the Morning Crew, and the traffic reports can be useful.

Anyway... I tune into the frequency or press memory button three and it'll play it loud and clear for about ten seconds and then say 'search' on the LCD display, and I have to re-tune to get the sound back.

This is just silly and it's nothing to do with signal strength - it happens everywhere. Strange thing is, I can listen to London or Kent stations with no trouble, even though the signal can be a bit ropey at times! Does anyone else have a similar problem?

Then again, it could just be protecting my ears from the likes of 'Booty Luv'. (tupw)

Reaction score
mine does same thing mate but it keeps switching between TFM (which is 96.6 FM) and Metro which is (97.1) - bloody thing cant make its mind up which station it wants to have on and drives me mad! half way through a tune and it will change station (swear)

It's gotta be down to the area you live in I think?

Reaction score
That seems quite bizare, but sounds like an RDS issueto me??

Mine doesn't do that, but while we are on strange radio workings... mine always flashes ALARM whenever I enter the Rotherhite Tunnel, I haven't noticed it elsewhere, but defo in that tunnel and I don't even need to be listening to the Radio, even on aux, it flashes up??

Any ideas?

Reaction score
I found that my radio did all these things you guys are talking about when I changed the aerial to the CTR bee sting... When I changed it back to the standard Trophy aerial, all the problems went away... I guess it's function over form on this one!

Reaction score
I get the odd issue with the CTR aerial.

^^^^ I think he's hit the nail squarely on the head.

Reaction score
I Have the same problem listening to real radio in scotland (it's also tuned into no3), the way round it is to put a cd into the stereo before u start up (or change to a cd before you switch off), then when the car is started turn to the radio... no probs after that...

But it does'nt bother me because it's only the football phone-in I like, the rest of the real radio shows are 90% adverts and pointless chit chat about nothing - real radio say they play more music than anyone else... Only if you include the jingles for the adverts!

Reaction score
Sounds like you have auto tuning enabled, and it's getting confused. It's designed to re-tune to a stronger signal for the same station, but sometimes switches between stations. You can turn this off - I did when it kept switching between welsh and english radio1 for me, but I can't remember the exact button press, and have now replaced said radio.

G

Thanks very much, guys! I'll give the suggestions a go!