Reaction score
Is it possible to do a straight swap for the FF's interior light, which (I believe) has a map light built-in to it? I'm doing a navigational rally tomorrow night and have just had to rig up a load of cardboard and masking tape to shield the light from my side of the car... :lol:

If anyone has pics of a FF light that would be handy too.

Ta!

Reaction score
Hi

Funny you should, mention this! I took my mates out of his FF Clio and replaced it with mine and Vice Versa! It changes over no problems, a 2 minute job. I am on the hunt for one now!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
yep although the map light has to sit on the drivers side due to the shape of the FF casing. I changed mine over about a month ago. I've been meaning to get some pics up for the garage, i'll try and remember tomorrow.

Reaction score
Sorry for the OT, but does that just happen when you corner quickly, or do you need to be slowing down too? Either way, how does the back end not end up in the next lane?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
george k explained this i believe to perfection, or it may have been steve but basically it's all down to weight transfer. It aids grip not hinders it. I know the obvious it to think 4 tyres gripping are better than 3 but in a front wheel car, where the front drives and corners basically the rear is light and unnecessary spare part.

I start to loose the technicalities at this point - this is where they come into their own.

It's not difficult to recreate this but you may not know you're doing it as it just feels like the car has body roll, which under normal circumstance it doesn't. This is an extreme but if you followed a trophy 'round a track you'd see it on most tight corners.

Reaction score
The main reason is that the droop travel on the rear shock absorbers is deliberately restricted, which works well with a torsion beam rear end and relatively stiff springs and gives surprisingly porgressive handling - on the other hand you will note that there is a lot of droop on the front to help with traction.

The rear wheel pick-up generally happens on slower corners, when the forward weight transfer is most severe (particularly after heavy braking) - I have not heard of anyone achieving it in 4th or 5th - and that is not a challenge!

Reaction score
The one on eBay is not the same one as Cue posted on his picture.

The surround on this one on ebay (from a 2003 Clio Dynamique) is far larger and is unlikely to fit unless you mind having an unsightly surround that serves no purpose. It may possibly be from one that was fitted with a sunroof.

Does anyone have the part number for the one Cue fitted? Nice little handy upgrade.

Also, stupid question I expect, but what is an FF? I presume another Renault or model of Clio? Or is it Factory Fitted?

Reaction score
Yes the surround is different but I believe the light unit is the same and interchangeable.

FF is 'Full Fat' so a 182 with all of the goodies, leather/suede, climate, xenons, etc.

Reaction score
Thanks for the Full Fat explanation.

Are you saying that I could buy the ebay one, jemmy out the light from the surround it comes with and snap it into place where just the glass sits on the T's interior light? Therefore using the existing interior lights surround.

Sounds prone to snapping plastics and scratched up parts.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
with the 182 FF one that i have it's just a click and pop out - unplug. then plug in the new one and clip back in (albeit the wrong way round so the map bulb is on the drivers side) two mins of a job if that.

not sure if the dynamique one fits, my experience is with the FF one.

Reaction score
Tks. That's what I guessed.

I'm not going to waste £10 + P&P for a switch that isn't/might not be right. If I want to do the upgrade I'll track down the correct part number from the FF 182.

I presume that although the map light is on the drivers side the beam can be directed to the passenger side easily enough.

Reaction score
This one here on ebay 170211257942 is from a 182 but costs £20 more than the dynamique one. The light unit and overall shape and size of the bezel surround look identical bar a few holes which will house a sensor for the climate control. I can't imagine Renault investing on injection moulding tools making individual light units for each model.

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying TrophyFan about the injection moulding die's etc but the one on ebay is housed in this huge surround. That is nothing like the light in the T, nor is it like the one in Cue's photo.

If I bought the ebay one the light section would have to be jemmied out of the sourround and clipped into the surround on the T.

Might work, might not, things might break in the transfer then I'd have to buy a new one anyway. Not really worth the risk in my view.