Reaction score
To all those who are looking for a Trophy or have recently purchased one (there seem to be many at present!). What's led you to your purchase?.. Wondering if something specific has sparked interest, like a magazine article or suchlike?

Reaction score
I am defo on the look out for a Trophy to replace my MKV Golf GTi. I have had the Golf for 2.5 years but the time has come for a change. My main reason for looking at a Trophy is that it just seems to be the ultimate handling drivers car and living near Manchester, there are lots of fantastic roads to really exploit the handling to the full.

Also, it seems very good value and will hopefully be cheaper than my Golf to look after.

Trouble is got to sell the Golf first and that is still at the bodyshop after someone attacked it over Christmas with a lump of concrete. My advice - never goto Oldham!

Reaction score
Also, it seems very good value and will hopefully be cheaper than my Golf to look after.

Is a Mk5 GTi expensive to run?

Had a brief drive in one, they are completly different from the T... bigger for starters (!) and more detached. Solid cars overall though.

Reaction score
The Mk5 GTi is a capable car but I have always felt it drives you rather than you driving it. I like the comfort it offers and the gadgets but I want to get back to basics - might be the last chance I have before having a family etc.

In terms of running costs.

I always fill it with super unleaded but can never get more than 26mpg except on long journeys when you might look to get around the 36mpg mark. Tyres are at least £130 a corner - I had to replace all four last year. A basic service is around 300 quid but this is from a stealer. I believe the cam belt change and service is around the 550 quid mark.

keo

Reaction score
I am currently looking for a trophy, however i need to sell my dull and boring type r first :( lol. Well i have always liked trophys and after being so disapointed with my hinda after comming from a 106 GTI i have started looking for one. I also read an old evo article where the trophy and M6 were compared. It sounds like a pretty special car and has the same charercterisics and feel as my old 106.

Also the fact that only 500 were built and the trick sachs dampers adds to the appeal as well :)

Reaction score
same here also looking its the seats that do it for me , only joking having prev owned a 172 cup then sold it missed the ride and fun etc so lucky for me ive got cash waiting to spend as soon as the rite one comes along

Reaction score
I think the exclusivity of the car clinched it for me, as well as the fact that I owned a 5 Turbo and a Mk I Clio 16v many year ago. Will be very sad to part company with my Rover Mini Cooper, however (took it from Sevenoaks up to the Oval last night for a cricket net – the car simply devoured the tight and twisty roads of south London). The fact that I found a 'minter' with low mileage for under £7000 literally just up the road helped too!

Reaction score
I bought no 40 last weekend, as for what made me go for a trophy i'm not sure.
It could have been that they look ok in red, they've got a better spec interior (i've removed mine though #-o ) they have far better dampers, and they were more intended for use on trackdays than the others.

Coming from a history of kitcars etc i fancied something for the track with a roof for a change. while it won't be as fast as the previous track cars it should be entertaining none the less in comparison too my last trackcar it's roughly 300bhp/ton short but i'm sure i'll have just as much fun driving the clio as i did the single seater.

Chris

Reaction score
I've noticed the influx of new owners recently too.

I imagine the main reason is the price you can pick one up for, it being a buyers market at the moment. Lets not forget its a lot of bang for your buck car. And I think there are many people who have the car on their wishlist

I also think some people will see it as scaling down from bigger more expensive cars to run.

Reaction score
I've had my Trophy for about 3 months now and was looking at different versions of clio sports for ages. New about the Trophy from when they were released and looked at a couple but talked myself out of them cos i'd heard nightmare stories about the dampers and couldnt really afford it.

Then I got sorted with my new job and had a bit more coin to spend and thought f**k it, Trophy #17 purchased and been :D 'n ever since

Ajr

Reaction score
I'd always wanted one since they first came out, i just had to wait for them to get down to an affordable price, to then spend £2k in the first year on keeping it in tip top condition :lol:

Reaction score
Very interesting to hear the various different backgrounds to people's decisions.

When I bought mine 2 years ago, it was purely on the back of Evo reviews and the fact that it was a limited run model. When I saw it in the car park of south mimms services when I went to view it, I just knew it was the right car; so purposeful, subtle aggression; I was sold on it before even getting inside!

There's certainly something so great about driving 'just a clio' yet knowing inside exactly what a capable car it really is! :D