Reaction score
Today I took the spanner to the car and completed the obligatory induction modification.

I however routed the intake pipe slightly differently and also used the old pipe as a feed for the second air hole intake to the front of the box (currently taking in hot engine air).

I also played with the valve a little bit to see what it did. I will try and post a little later if I find anything interesting (I have been sucking and blowing into each of the pipes... the white thing is actually a one way valve). No dirty thoughts boys...

A few pics below for you:

IMG_2708-vi.jpg

IMG_2709-vi.jpg

IMG_2711-vi.jpg

IMG_2712-vi.jpg

IMG_2713-vi.jpg

IMG_2714-vi.jpg

IMG_2715-vi.jpg

IMG_2716-vi.jpg

...and a sneaky one of the new Janspeed exhaust... ;)

IMG_2608-vi.jpg

IMG_2611-vi.jpg

Oh what the heck... one final photo of the car before the intake mods!!!

IMG_2614-vi.jpg

Enough photos I hear you say! :)

O.

Reaction score
Looking good - great pics.

I like what you have done with the second intake hole and original pipe!

How do you find the changes - positive?

I presume you don't have any increased intake noise with this set-up?

Reaction score
Thanks Matt - it is of course because of your inspiration!

The changes seem to make it a little bit more aggressive/responsive at low revs but that said I have also recently fitted an ITG panel filter. Plus it was quite warm today so it is difficult to draw conclusions on the 'buttometer'.

As for noise... I don't notice much difference.

I will continue to check out the valve we removed. I am bent on finding out what it was designed to do... I just hope it was not designed to increase torque in the mid range (as replacing the stock system with a pod system seems to result in this).

Will post more driving opinions tomorrow as I head to work.

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
Its looking good m8, will be looking foward to more of your inspiration lol!

Reaction score
Nice pictures Ollie, the new exhaust looks especially tasty, and keep up the good research for the rest of us, your efforts are much appreciated.

I look forward to the results of removing the valve, I suppose a rolling road test wouldn't be that effective with this sort of breathing mod as the air flow won't increase with (non-existent) road speed.

P.S. On the mesh used for the new intake, I was looking at our new shower today and it has a halogen light fitted within the extrator fan, I was thinking of how this would be a really cool way of keeping the fog light but still using that space as the cold air intake.

Reaction score
The more I think about the less logical it is that the valve can affect torque as it is on the other side of the airbox from the engine and so is unlikely to have any influence on resonant pulsing.

The only factor could be the length from the butterfly to the airbox. Is it possible that some of the IK's have a shorter pipe than the standard set up? It is even possible that a larger diameter pipe would also have an adverse effect.

Oliie, keep up the sleuthing and see if you can find out when the feed to the solenoid is activated.

Look forward to hearing your progress.

Reaction score
why not e mail that jeremy townsend at clio sport...i've got his e mail address if you want it...sure he'll know

Ali

Reaction score
Too much air can affect performance as much as too little air...

found this out the hard way...

Reaction score
Ali said:

So how do you go about getting the right amount for your engine then?
Just play with the air flow till you feel you've reached the best compromise?

Will do this mod soon...just need my green air filter first :)

Reaction score
Ali said:

found this out the hard way...

To be honest I don't think this mod will affect total airflow as it is afterall still going through the same sized hole in the outer casing of the airbox. Plus it is nothing compared to a pod filter!

To me the main benefit of this mod is the ability to suck in cold air versus hot air; i.e. density and not total air flow.

Better air, not more air!

P.S. welcome!! :)

O.

Reaction score
An engine can never have too much air (otherwise why bother turbo charging it!?) - the problem is if the mixture is not matched to th airflow - usually cured by re-mapping. However there is thre rpoblem that if the inlet has a ram effect then the amount of ram and hence airflow will vary roughly in proportion ot speed (ignoring stagnation, stalling etc) and so there will be different rates of airflow at the same rpm, but in different gears. This is why sometimes the cold air feed is not sealed on to the airfbox.

Reaction score
The key thing if nothing else is that more cold air is reaching where it is supposed to be. In my cast I have an open air filter, so it sucks in the desired amount (need to get heat shield next!) Where as with a force fed air box it may get too much air. Solution to this would be to disconnect air tube and have it in close proximity to the air box. :twisted:

Reaction score
Pics look great Oliie, love the new exhaust.
Where did you get it from, if you don't mind me asking?

Reaction score
trophy27 said:

Janspeed... but I actually bought it off Hyb when he traded for a Cooper S (traitor!!!!!) ;)

O.

Reaction score
Does the Janspeed make much of a difference in performance? It's obviously visually appealing but does it sound any good?

A

Reaction score
It does indeed sound great. No droning at speeds (important for me as the car spends lots of time on motorways) but a nice deep sound when pushing on.

Plus it saves lots of weight! :)

O.

hyb

Reaction score
oliie said:
trophy27 said:

Janspeed... but I actually bought it off Hyb when he traded for a Cooper S (traitor!!!!!) ;)

O.

Its a works damnit! :p

Your car looks great in the pics though Ollie :) I did actually say to my brother as we drove off and saw you reversing up (I guess to call janspeed) that the trophy did look the dogs :)

Reaction score
No droning at speeds (important for me as the car spends lots of time on motorways) but a nice deep sound when pushing on.

Know what you mean, nothing worse on long distances.

Sounds good, how much do they retail for and is yours a full system or just a back box?