Ajr

Reaction score
Sorry for yet another mpg thread, but i find it quite an interesting subject!

I filled up after work on thursday(shell 95 as was only option), drove home, average was 46mpg by the time i'd got back.
Still hovering around 43mpg after work the next day.
Drove up to central london at 8pm, still at 42 when i got there.
Drove back at 1pm today, crap traffic especially blackwall tunnel area. Still 40.5mpg, drove through my local town, crap traffic. Still showing 40mpg after all of this.

When measured the gauge is usually only a maximum of 1 or 2 out, sometimes spot on so i believe it.

It's really impressive that the clio can obstract so much energy from it's fuel, a reasonably powerful 2.0 shouldn't be this economical! It's not so great on the motorway for economy but on B roads it's spot on. I've driven quite a few smaller engined cars that weren't as economical, our C2VTS petrol only averages 1 or 2 mpg more but then is on low mileage so should improve.

Who really needs a diesel with fuel running costs this low?

Reaction score
Yeah totally agree! My drive to work is about 30 minute drive on A and B roads and I can easily average 40mpg without much effort. When I try hard it hovers around 43-45mpg and if I feel i need to get rid of some frustration it drops to maybe 36ish lowest. Perfect little car for everyday fun without costing stupid amounts! :D

Ajr

Reaction score
:lol:

Something you definitely need to consider when you own 5 cars and do 30-40k a year with no petrol allowance...

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ah ! :lol:

You own 5 cars and worry about fuel economy ! I can understand the 30 - 40K a year bit mind.

Im lucky to get 30mpg in mine. To be honest its not something I think about very often.
If im cruising at 70(ish) and reset the trip computer I get well over 40mpg. pretty good I think and its good to know that that sort of figure can be achieved, especially considering the performance, and not to forget the amount of fun you can have in it !

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
hills kill economy....

best i've ever managed was 41.3 mpg over the entire tank, based on 10gallons going into the tank.

CMR

Reaction score
I will be happy with anything over 30 when I get mine, after all they are a 2.0 n/a so very good figures compared to similar size engines from different cars

Reaction score
i had a c2 vts before the trophy, i was worried about economy when i changed but found hardly any difference.

Reaction score
I seem to average around 10-15mpg to the gallon in mine :eek:

Having said that i was quite impressed on the way down to bedford when i acheived approx 150 miles on 16litres of fuel, 50 miles of darting around and then a steady drive to bedford (following a trailered Clio so mostly 60mph)

worst car i ever owned for fuel consumption was a 2001 V5 Beetle low 20's, closely followed by a 1998 Audi 2.8 quattro that was mid 20's both with combined driving, having said that i once got 36mpg out of the Audi driving really steady.

Chris

Reaction score
I get an average of 29.9 mpg doing 60 miles to work a week, Ive noticed that sometimes it freezes and you need to reset it to get it to change,