Reaction score
Hello all,

I am posting on here due to a serious problem I am having at the moment with Renault regarding the suspension on my Trophy. The front right damper has cracked causing it to leak and it therefore needs replacing. Unfortunately, both my dealership and Renault Customer Services have told me that it is down to 'wear and tear' therefore it is not covered under warranty - they have quoted £1600 for a new one.

After a bit of research, it turns out that quite a few people have had the same problem with the dampers - I am keen to find out how many people have been in my situation?

There are several reasons why I am not accepting responsibility for payment and they are as follows:

1) This has already happened to me before after 12,000 miles and the damper was replaced under warranty.

2) 10,000 miles a year is low usage - dampers specified for road use should be able to cope with this.

3) It seems to be a common fault with the damper - I have read several reports on here of people with the same problem (hence why I am keen to gather your experiences). Plus not every Trophy owner uses this forum or bothers to post such issues on here, so there will be more cases.

4) The damper has failed, it has not worn out. It should not crack from wear and tear.

5) It is unsafe - a car supplied with faulty suspension is not safe to drive. Luckily, I was able to detect that the damper had broken and slowed down accordingly. However, if someone does not notice this fault whilst driving, they may continue to drive as normal thus putting their safety at risk.

6) According to Renault Mansfield, each damper costs £1600, which means £6,400 worth of dampers per Trophy. I paid £13,300 for my Trophy brand new which means almost half of that cost is the dampers alone, which I find extremely hard to believe. Alternatively, I was quoted £274 for the standard 182 dampers, which means the dampers on the Trophy are £5304 more, yet the list price of the Trophy wasn't £5300 more than the 182. Again, the figures simply don't add up.

7) Renault Mansfield also told me that the Sachs dampers had a warranty of up to 3,000 miles - my first damper was replaced under warranty after 12,000 miles.

I am intending to write to the Managing Director of Renault UK, Roland Bouchara, about this issue as I believe it is serious. It is not uncommon for car manufactuers to issue a full recall for thousands of cars over possible safety issues or faulty parts, therefore I don't think recalling 500 cars is beyond Renault's capabilities.

Furthermore, I simply can't afford to pay £1600 on a new damper now and inevitably for others in the future. Plus noone is going to want to buy a second hand Trophy, knowing that they're going to have to pay £1600 every time a damper fails, which it evidently will. As it stands I am probably better off stripping the car and selling it for parts.

I am going to suggest to Roland Bouchara that Renault recall all 500 Trophies, which really isn't many, and they should have their dampers checked and refurbished free of charge if necessary. It is time Renault took responsibility for the faulty parts they have supplies.

I know getting a positive response from Renault is unlikely, but I feel we have a genuine reason to complain here, and the more people I can get on my side the better chance we have of being taken seriously. I have got nothing to lose as I'm not paying for the repair anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, please reply with your thoughts and/or experiences and details (mileage, warranty etc)

Jordan

Reaction score
Shame to hear this has happened to your car mate, mine (touches wood) are ok at the moment, hopefully wont have issues. I am aware that I would have to pay to have them refurbished at some point which I shall do but keep us posted with how you get on with Renault mate.

Reaction score
write to jeremy townsend at renault sport UK...
i've spoke to him a few times and he was quite helpfull.
pm me for his e mail address
post this on the renault sport forum too, renault sport often respond to posts on there...
cant those guys (cant remember of the top of my head) who recondition them sort this out ?
i sometime wonder how many trophys in years to come will revert back to cup pack shocks due to the price of the sachs units :(

Reaction score
First of all calm down.

The dealership it's not Sun### is it, if so i'm not supprised your not getting anywhere. I got told the steering wheel crumbling on a year old 172 was fair wear & tear. Yet L'boro swapped it as soon as they saw it :D

You need a second opinion on the damage as customer services back up the dealership [-X

Just because you buy a car from them do not expect to be looked after :x

The front dampers are the expensive ones, not the rears.

The part numbers you require are 8200 514 733 or 744. L/R. 2 yrs ago thought they were £432 + VAT each?

Contact renault in europe as parts are half what they are here.

Ask NIK the admin guy for the head of renaultsports e mail, a guy called Bernaud. He spoke to us at RWS 2006 & was very interested in what we though of his cars. Told us the dampers should do 50K+ of extreme use easy.

Is it the same damper that has failed?? If so it may be covered for 3yrs from replacement.

I only know of 2 others that have failed, mainly through impact damage.

Use the Renaultsport & cliotrophy forums in your letters & e mails, nothing like embarassing a big company.

Good luck :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
the price is just for the front shocks - and yes that's the correct price :cry: the rears are a couple of hundred iirc.

re the issue - it may be useful to contact sashs direct to get their opinion on how they expect their dampers to last on the road, remember these are race derived!I doubt they'd agree that you shouldn't expect to be lasting 12 months.

On my hit list would be Jeremy, Roland and the french head of Renaultsport - can't remember his name of the top of my head.

i'm in full support of your case, if the damper has cracked then that can't be wear and tear - that's dangerous. Wear and tear would be a loss of pressure to maybe a seal going not the casing [-X

Reaction score
Jordan, good luck with this. Very much supporting you and hope you get a positive resolution. I would try to paint as balanced and objective picture of the situation as possible. I know this has put you out massively and you are frustrated. A polite and fact based letter to the top people will be far better received and get you much further.

Perhaps write it, sleep on it and then re read it, edit it and send it. You need the guys at the top on your side. Imagine you are the head of RenaultSport and were recieving the letter, do all you can to make it as constructive and objective as possible.

Re the cost of the dampers vs. the cost of the car. Volume purchasing drives out significant cost. Renault purchased 1100 units and would have paid far less than £1600 each from Sachs. Adding up individual component prices in £ doesn't give you a final cost of the car.

As Cue said, it was an end of production run and the parts bins were raided. Renault may have not sold enough Clio Cup customer cars and had loads of racing Sachs dampers knocking about. I understand the Sachs are the dampers used on those Clio Cup cars. Same for the Recaro's. Perhaps not many people ordered them as the (expensive) option on the FF 182's and they were sitting about.

Good luck with the response you receive and keep us posted.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
son of solo said:
these were sold on the bay last month...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=016

contact the buyer, he might sell you one...

Actually he won't, he wants to keep them as a pair :wink:

Pretty much agree with all you've said but like gordon said it's probably best to remain calm and stick to the facts. I've PM'd you a number of someone you can talk to about the damper, he'll probably want to see pictures at least which would also be useful posted on here.

Hope you get it sorted.

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this up, very useful.
Would you be able to describe to us where the crack is so we can perhaps have a look at our own cars just in case?
Good luck with this issue and there are some wise words about sleeping on it before deciding on your final letter, it's better to win them over than aggravate them in the heat of the moment!!

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am having the same issue with Renault at the moment with my front suspention. I reported the problem wih my Sachs front suspension (leaking fluid) on the 15th July a day before the warrenty ran out. The car could not be booked in until after the warrenty had expired. Renault are saying since the fault had not been diagnosed by a renault dealer before the epiration date it is evidently not covered under the warranty. They are now only offering to pay 40% of the cost of the repair as a good will gesture.

This can not be right surely.

Can someone give me help how to progress this.

The e-mail of the Jeremy Townsend would be helpful I guess.

I will keep you all posted with my progress.

jsthomson

S4M

Reaction score
Its the threads at the top of each diffrent forum. A moderator makes it one so that it is allways at the top (Allways seen)

Reaction score
Can they be rebuilt if cracked? Surely then its a case of replacing a broken part instead of just replacing seals etc?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
trophyfan said:
Justin Timberlake ????

Fool :lol: :wink:

JS did you talk to the guy at BG that i pm'd you, he will at least be able to offer you advice on the Damper and where you may stand on a claim.