Reaction score
Hi guys, since picking up #151 I've not had much chance to put any miles on her as I've been out of town with work. I have had both the timing belt and aux belts changed out and it's driving really well. I put about 150 miles into the car (mostly motorway) and I'm really happy with the drive.

However I have noticed when warm the idle does seem to drop back sometime and it seems a little like the car is stuggling to tickover. It doesn't actually stall and looks to be idling at around 750rpm. With a little gas it picks right up and will rev out cleanly.

From looking on the net it seems like this is a fairly common issue and the idle is pretty lumpy and the idle control valve is often quoted as the culprit. I wouldn't really describe it as lumpy, more just like the idle dropping off rather than anything more dramatic.

My car only has 27k and had new plugs fitted by renault 300 miles ago and it was also tested on their diagnostics and recieved a full bill of health.

I am happy to live with this if it's just a known 'part of the charachter'. However if the ICV needs cleaned or replaced where would I locate this on the engine?

As the car is low mileage I would doubt the ICV would need much of a cleanup and I don't want to introduce problems if they all idle like this.

Many thanks!

Reaction score
I don't think there is an ICV on these Clios, it done by the ECU and the FBW throttle. Lumpy idle is a characteristic of the F4R engine though having said that, idle on mine seems rock solid at around 1200 rpm when cold and around 800 when warm. I changed the front and rear lambda sensors recently and it made a big difference to mine.

Coil pack is another thing that sometimes goes wrong on these motors which might also be the cause of the problem

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Jonc. I would have thought if it was coils there would be other symptoms, missfire, lumpy running etc. I would also expect renault would have picked that up whilst they were swapping the plugs. The car drives 100% perfectly otherwise.

Does everyone else have a very stable idle?