JJH

Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie just signing on and wanted to introduce myself. I'll be on the lookout for a Trophy or possibly a 182 with both Cup packs and recaros as a daily driver. I have a S1 Elise for the weekend, although I'm expecting that if what I read about the Tropy and 182 is right, I might be using it for fun at the weekend as well.....

Any hints, tips or suggestions most welcome. I'm interested in a standard car that's been correctly looked after. From what I see the front dampers, cambelt and a genuine full service history are things to look out for, but I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that, and that's where I'm hoping this forum can help.

Oh, and any tips on best places to look for a decent one would be good. Budget is £6k.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Welcome along. You will pretty much be able to find out all you need to know on here so good luck with the search.

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

All 182 / 172 should ahve a full service @ 5 years which is cam belt + aux belt which is ~£500+
Trophy has the dampers which 'may' need rebuilding (see thread here at a decent place at silverstone)
Steering wheels are a bugger on clios and prone to cracking and splitting from heat
Note front bumper - sure sign og front impact is if the black covers on either saide are colour coded due to respray

Personally when I bought mine (due to experiencing an accident which fundamentally changed the handling of my 172 & from tracking it previously).
I checked the subframe (underside of engine bay to front suspension arms) which got damaged when i crashed my 172 and changed its handling completely and was never the same. If new ans shiney walk away.

One of the most common upgrades for tracking a car is to upgrade the brakes and braided brake lines. This consists of changing the front flexible lines one each front wheel and the rears which are just before the rear axle on the passenger side.
I checked both of these before buying mine ! Not that the lines mattered so much, but definitely the subframe !

Reaction score
As with any cars really, service history is key. Its a great engine when if its been looked after but can go down hill quickly if neglected. Oil changes every 6k is very useful, also the tracking can be out due to the relatively stiff suspension and bumpy U.K roads.

If you get a good one you will utterly adore it, superb little cars which punch well above there weight. Happy hunting.

Sam