Reaction score
Just walked past my trophy in the garage this evening and noticed the drivers side rear damper is covered in oil and a small puddle by it. :(

Anyone else had the same?? If so dod you have any issues claiming under warranty or getting hold of the part?

My car is a 55 plate but has only done 6500 miles and is only used once or twice a week, so hasnt had a hard life and hasnt been on track either.

Any help very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Yikes! I'm sure it'll be under warranty.

Sounds like you need to give it some stick - those that have been on the track don't have any problems!! :p

Keep us posted, and good luck :)

O.

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
If/when Renault do change it, ensure you have the correct part fitted. Not that you have any reason not to trust Renault but just to be sure!!

Reaction score
Register your car and we'll give you all the advice you need. :lol:

Just kidding, just take it to Renault, they'll replace it under warranty and then your little Tomato car will take it's place as the best hatchback FWD car of all time (slightly ahead of the Williams).

Reaction score
Update-
One of my mates works at Drakes Renault just outside York so he got one of the technicians to come out to my house and look at the the car last night, so he's checked it out and will be ordering the damper under warranty.

The little fella is booked in for a service on weds so hopefully will have the part by then.

Must've forgotten to register the car on here, probably cos i only bought it to run for a few weeks over the summer, but they get under your skin these little cars so looks like its staying!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I know it's already been said but make sure its the right damper - not knowing this guy I can only go on my experience of Renault dealers/technitions not knowing what to do with a Trophy. I think Renosport didn't tell them anything about it.

Reaction score
Got the car all sorted and back in fine form! Top marks to Drakes of Shiptonthorpe.

Only worry now is the brake disks which have corroded badly. Drakes tried to claim under warranty but my car hasnt done enough miles to qualify for a claim. The car has been stood for a few days recently and the previous owner had it stood for a couple weeks when i bought it.

Just wondering if i should upgrade the discs to some drilled/grooved ones instead of the standard ones - any thoughts?

Lee

Reaction score
If they sit unused and you then drive hard and brake hard you find the rust on the disks rips the pads to bits. Mine lasted really well, with plenty of hard road and track driving. When Wayne and Kathy were using the Trophy for just track days the disks rusted and tore the pads to bits in no time at all.

I'm surprised to hear a rear damper has gone. I was hoping the Sachs units would be better than the old 182 ones, which were pretty bad for leaking. Mine went at 18500 miles on the 182. The Trophy ones are fine at 22k, although they have only covered around 18k.

Reaction score
Lee said:
If they sit unused and you then drive hard and brake hard you find the rust on the disks rips the pads to bits. Mine lasted really well, with plenty of hard road and track driving. When Wayne and Kathy were using the Trophy for just track days the disks rusted and tore the pads to bits in no time at all.

I'm surprised to hear a rear damper has gone. I was hoping the Sachs units would be better than the old 182 ones, which were pretty bad for leaking. Mine went at 18500 miles on the 182. The Trophy ones are fine at 22k, although they have only covered around 18k.

You drove for 4,000 miles without using the dampers? :?:

Lee

Reaction score
Steve Gunnis said:
Lee said:

You drove for 4,000 miles without using the dampers? :?:

Not quite, I drove for 4000 miles before having new ones. lol I tried to get the old ones back as it ended up that they were 100% fine, but I wasn't allowed. They actually put them back on for a few weeks, seeing as I'd been waiting 3 months for the new ones to arrive. That's why my mileage is lower than it would usually be, the car was on ramps for so long.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
trophycabinet said:
Got the car all sorted and back in fine form! Top marks to Drakes of Shiptonthorpe.

Only worry now is the brake disks which have corroded badly. Drakes tried to claim under warranty but my car hasnt done enough miles to qualify for a claim. The car has been stood for a few days recently and the previous owner had it stood for a couple weeks when i bought it.

Just wondering if i should upgrade the discs to some drilled/grooved ones instead of the standard ones - any thoughts?

wont make any difference on the rear ones really.