Grey Imports - the Japanese Yen

Reaction score
If anyone is thinking about doing this and paying direct to Japan, the yen is at all time lows, so there has never been a better time all other things being equal. As far as we can tell the dollar will contniue to weaken medium-term, albeit with ups and downs on the way, which tends to drag the yen with it.

Reaction score
Dont forget all Japanese imports under ten years old will need an ESVA test and if it's a newish model out they are sometimes pricey. That might negate some of the saving along with shipping etc.

Reaction score
I've bought from Japan before (RX7) but was in Australia at the time. Was relatively hassle free but not sure how the process differs here. I gather that only certain types (those that have had a type approval completed for that given model) can be imported.

A nice Stagea Autech will do nicely...

O.

Reaction score
From what I'm told it's economical to bring models over that have had a enhanced single vehicle assessment carried out before because the tech detail can be rented off the organisation who paid for the first one (circa £500 - £750). The original test is expensive and they get their money back in time (and more!!) having taken the plunge with the first one.

An auction friend has a car from Cyprus, the model of which has never been ESVA'd before. It's uneconomical for him to do anything but run the car on Cypriot plates until he can't do that any more !!

That's all anecdotal though - may be barking up the wrong tree!

Reaction score
George K said:
Now reached 239.50 to £1 - quite extraordinary

I have no doubt that with the current inflation rates that another base rate rise of a basis point is in store. This will further boost cash demand further driving the strength of the GBP with a potential diversion from the recently strong stock portfolios.

My other half has just returned from NYE... needless to say she enjoyed the shopping trip!

O.

Reaction score
Ollie - you are probably not far out, although tourcurrency reports suggest that future interest rate rises have been already priced into the exchange rates - none the less I am sure that £Dolalr/Sterling will have a go at 2:1 before long - I have just looked at some disaster scenarios at 2.40 - not nice for an exporter.

Reaction score
George K said:
Ollie - you are probably not far out, although tourcurrency reports suggest that future interest rate rises have been already priced into the exchange rates - none the less I am sure that £Dolalr/Sterling will have a go at 2:1 before long - I have just looked at some disaster scenarios at 2.40 - not nice for an exporter.

Not a good situation to be in! You can hedge now but then you take the risk of predicting the US economy which is fun!

We are a US based company so we price our work internally in US$ but charge GBP locally. It makes it challenging to sell too (internal capex pricing and WACC) but it means that the EMEA revenue for the company as a whole appears favourable... :)

I take your point about future rises being built into the current rate and that it was the suprise element that sent the GBP soaring. Another suprise rate will mean that importing LHD Porsches from DE will become a rather economical affair! Here's to suprises... ;)

O.