Reaction score
im thinking of buying an chrom engine and ecu cover and getting the head pollished and painting red underneath. is this ok for the warrentee? and what do you guys thing?

like mikes from rentec

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Your warranty doesn't just stop if you change something on the car, but if something goes wrong that could potentially have been caused by something you've modified then Renault have the right to refuse to fix it under warranty.

Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, but how much would that cost, and why exactly do you want to do it? Just curious...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
IMHO a rare car like the trophy should be kept standard - any mods will affect the resale value. its a great car as it is so why change it. Okay can see the point on a 172 or 182 because they are so plentifull, but the trophy will be best left alone, you will stand out enough as it is.

Plus tbh, it sounds a little cheesy. sorry just my opinion and not necessarliy right.

Reaction score
matt the cat said:
IMHO a rare car like the trophy should be kept standard - any mods will affect the resale value. its a great car as it is so why change it. Okay can see the point on a 172 or 182 because they are so plentifull, but the trophy will be best left alone, you will stand out enough as it is.

Plus tbh, it sounds a little cheesy. sorry just my opinion and not necessarliy right.

well i think i agree with you maye. im not going to do it just because of what you said. thanks

Day

Reaction score
Mike used a dremmel like polishing tool on his engine, Fred on Cliosport does them too.

Don't see how doing that will affect the resale value :?

I'd rather pay more for car that has an enthusiastic owner that's into detailing.

Don't like the chrome battery covers mind :(

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Day said:
Mike used a dremmel like polishing tool on his engine, Fred on Cliosport does them too.

Don't see how doing that will affect the resale value :?

I'd rather pay more for car that has an enthusiastic owner that's into detailing.

Don't like the chrome battery covers mind :(
Don't see how doing that will affect the resale value

its just my opinion from experience. if i wanted to buy a car like a trophy in a few years time then i would go for the one thats standard and not f*cked about with in any way. i would assume that with all the enige dressing then the owner would likely have given it death all the time.

To me an enthusiast is a purist that would like things standard, but hey its only my opinion!!

Reaction score
Contrary to what people believe modified cars are worth less than standard cars. Doesnt matter if its after market pedals and an airfreshner or a turbo conversion. It knocks the price down.

Reaction score
If i was going to buy one in a couple of years time I would'nt bother looking at one that was'nt standard in every way.

Reaction score
Me too, modified cars, boy racer springs to mind in most people even if the modifications are to make the car better on track the majority of buyers in the future will think this.

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
Contrary to what people believe modified cars are worth less than standard cars. Doesnt matter if its after market pedals and an airfreshner or a turbo conversion. It knocks the price down.

So a Cup spoiler and a Cup splitter have devalued my car? Don't talk fucking daft youth!!! They certainly don't add any value, but they don't devalue it. They are Renault parts and most prospecive buyers wouldn't even notice. lol.

In your world of concours classics your sentiment may be true. But in terms of everyday cars a few subtle mods will not be detrimental to value imho.

Reaction score
Maverick said:
King Stromba said:

So a Cup spoiler and a Cup splitter have devalued my car? Don't talk fucking daft youth!!! They certainly don't add any value, but they don't devalue it. They are Renault parts and most prospecive buyers wouldn't even notice. lol.

In your world of concours classics your sentiment may be true. But in terms of everyday cars a few subtle mods will not be detrimental to value imho.

Anyone who is worth their salt will know that one of the first things you ask when viewing a car is 'is it standard'. If i heard 'no i added some stupid chav spoiler and and these subtle mods' id personally walk away, because it indicates the person who owns this car HAS NO TASTE. And even if the car was mint, i couldnt bring myself to buy a car owned by a fool.

Reaction score
I sort of agree with Matt the cat and Stromba - having thought about getting a new filter, new exhaust, removing rear seats, getting roll cage, harnesses, upgrading brakes and hoses etc, in the end I thought there's actually something quite cool about leaving an easily and often modded car completely standard.

Reaction score
Whoops, I have fitted CG-locks to the front seats belts though.... but removed in less than 60 seconds, so don't really count....

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
Maverick said:
[quote="King Stromba":hpgq6tmy]Contrary to what people believe modified cars are worth less than standard cars. Doesnt matter if its after market pedals and an airfreshner or a turbo conversion. It knocks the price down.

Anyone who is worth their salt will know that one of the first things you ask when viewing a car is 'is it standard'. If i heard 'no i added some stupid chav spoiler and and these subtle mods' id personally walk away, because it indicates the person who owns this car HAS NO TASTE. And even if the car was mint, i couldnt bring myself to buy a car owned by a fool.[/quote:hpgq6tmy]

And one of the second things you ask is "Has it been damaged or resprayed?"

Didn't stop you buying 002 did it?

Or how about "Has it been thrashed to within an inch of it's life by a bunch of idiot journos?"

Or even "Did you get the wheels professionally refurbished" ...

"Er.. no. I did them in my garage with some wet and dry and a few cans of spray paint"

Still, you pays your money you takes your choice. :wink:

But maybe your right. Maybe I will lose a few quid. Frankly I couldn't give a toss. My car looks better (subjective, but imho. Although I take exception to a man that drives a blue car with gold wheels and has the cheek to call a Cup spoiler 'chavy') sounds better but most importantly goes better. I bought it to drive it and enjoy it. Not worry about how much I'll get for it in a couple of years.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think thats the key, some people are more concerned about depreciation and future resale value than others.

Of course I dont want to completely devalue the car, but the way I see it is it's MY car, not the next owner's so if i want to change something then why not. I do plan to keep it fairly standard as it happens, but I'm not going to spend too much time worrying what the next owner might think.