Reaction score
I thought it was time I tried to take the car over to France for a change!

Will be heading over to Calais just after Xmas (perhaps 26th) - but just for the day.

Do you guys have any suggestions what to do when arriving in Calais? Is it worth driving to Paris or should I explore other places (seeing as it is a day trip). I've already been to Paris as well...

Sorry it's a crazy question... not tried it before! I will have my GF's mother and sister in the car BTW...

Cheers
O.
P.S. considering the ferry at the moment but open to suggestions (e.g. take the train instead!!)

:)

Reaction score
On the ferry or in France?? :twisted:

Reaction score
I always go in the tunnel, it's much quicker and only 44 quid for 1 or 2 day return.
Allow at least 3 hours from Calais to get to central Paris and park, although only 2 to the outskirts.
Nice places that are nearer depend on what you like - Arras is a nice, small old town to have lunch in, Vimy Ridge W W 1 memorial and museum is nearby, Lille is the nearest big city, or for a bracing walk along the coast, head for Cap Gris Nez / Blanc Nez. For cheap shopping, the huge places in Calais are probably the most convenient...
Have a good trip !

Reaction score
Chris- this is very useful: thank you.

Will look around the area and check out the towns you mention.

O.

Reaction score
Lille is nice, I just got back from a long weekend. My big tip is to remember which side of the road to drive on #-o

You will be amazed at how many French bods go nuts for the Trophy. I actually went over on the Eurostar, but one of my mates mentioned the car in a pub (he's still buying an Alfa 147, 'cos he's special), and before I knew it, I was passing round pictures of Ruby on my phone and fielding endless questions about her.

If you do go to Lille, eat at les trois brausseurs, it's even got a microbrewery for your passengers.

Enjoy it, and watch out for the ice.

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Believe it or not, the tip to drive on the right is useful!!! I guess it's even more important when you're in a right hand drive car. Do you guys buy those plastic pieces to put over your headlamps to reduce blinding oncoming traffic?

I think Lille will be the place to visit. I'll see if I can find it on a map to check out where it is.

Thanks again all - I really appreciate it.

Oliver

Reaction score
I do buy the little plastic stickers for my headlights when I am driving in Europe. It is just good road etiquette. They are only a couple of quid from Halford's and it also gives the local Gendarmes one less reason to pull you over :D

Reaction score
Here are some French phrases you may need:

You may need the following at the docks:

Ou est Renault, monsieur? - Can you tell me the way to the nearest renault dealer, my car appears to have an electrical gremlin

In the dealership you may need the following:

Ma voiture est casse - My car is broken

Pouvez-vous chercher ma moteur - Can you look for my engine, the chocolate mounts appear to have melted

You may need this when they start to fit the wrong shock absorbers:

Ma suspension est tres cher - No mate, i need resevoir dampers on this baby

And you may need this when the bill comes:

Tu est un grande merde et ta mere est un putain - I dont like you very much

Reaction score
I always take Speed Ferries to Bologne. It's about 25 quid, takes 50 minutes, and it's very easy to get from Bologne to Normandy.

At the ferry terminal they sell the plastic bits for the lights, but note that putting them on a clio is non-intuitive. They go upside down and not where you would expect them.

If you drive on the motorway, use the toll lanes marked 'CB'. YOu can use credit cards in these lanes and they go the fastest. Make sure your front seat passenger is ready to pay the tolls.

Expect to get more attention. In France they seem to know what a Trophy is more than in the UK. Maybe it's just that they know you are from the UK, but when I drive my other car in France I don't get nearly the same notice.

If you like architecture, vitis Reims and Chartres. Both have amazing cathedrals.

If you need any other pointers I'd be glad to help. I have a house over there and go over about every other month all year.

Cheers,

Robert

Day

Reaction score
Not sure I'm comfortable with the parking arrangements on the speed ferry:

IMG_1944.JPG

:shock:

Was a bit of a squeeze!

Reaction score
Robert - superb advice... thank-you.

I am off to have a look at the Speed Ferries website.

[edit: just had a look at the site: no vessels on the 27th unfortunately - shame!]

Thank you x10.

O.

Reaction score
Day - just seen your piccie... :shock:

Reaction score
I've crossed on Speed Ferries about 20 times and have never had a problem. Not a scratch on any car, or anything else. They seem to be pretty careful with placing cars. Even though, depending on where you get parked, it can be a bit of a squeeze. Maybe it's just my experience with them, but I also have two mates, one with t TVR and one with a Porsche who use them with out any problems either.

Obviously a lot depends on those who park near you, so I stay with the car until the cars near me have disgorged their passengers, and I try to get back to the car before they load up.

The only other bit of advice I can offer is that the French are not nearly as organized at roundabouts as the English are. These can sometimes be the cause of a close shave.

-robert

Reaction score
Funnily enough me and my gfriend are going to Bruges overnight during the Xmas/New Years break. Eurotunnel at £44-£49 return for a 1 or 2 day trip seems a good deal. Just in case you run into some pernickety police you'll wanna make sure to have a triangle, first aid kit etc...

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
Funnily enough me and my gfriend are going to Bruges overnight during the Xmas/New Years break. Eurotunnel at £44-£49 return for a 1 or 2 day trip seems a good deal. Just in case you run into some pernickety police you'll wanna make sure to have a triangle, first aid kit etc...

Ahhh... this is an interesting!! It's law to carry a reflective triangle in the car??

Interesting!! /goes out to buy one...