Reaction score
Just put £20 scottish notes into the Trophy, and god almighty I got bugger all for it! Do you chaps / chaplets put V Power / Tesco's 98 Ron in the car, or do you just put ordinary fuel in?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I use V-Power. Its getting well OTT now £1.19 a litre at my local. Its crazy, everytime I go to put some fuel in the price has gone up again!! I mean where is the point in which it stops rising so rapidly. Robbing T***s !!!

Reaction score
always put tesco 99 RON in 356........... only 1.15 a litre tho....... :cry:

Reaction score
V power on track, 95 oct most other time, you can hardly tell diff.
We moan about fuel price but saw on BBC web site other day it was dearer relatively in 1973 and the Chinese all rode bikes then!

Reaction score
I have started to put 95 into mine as local prices for V-power is 119.9+. Decided to do every 3 tank with v-Power and use 95 the rest of the time.
see how it goes.

Prices are stupid an mo, but nothing is going to change!

Reaction score
Olliev8 said:
I have started to put 95 into mine as local prices for V-power is 119.9+. Decided to do every 3 tank with v-Power and use 95 the rest of the time.
see how it goes.

Prices are stupid an mo, but nothing is going to change!

Do you notices a differance at all, or only in just your pocket?

Reaction score
VPower everytime for me. It's about 115.9 in my 'hood. Crazily expensive but all fuels are today.

I do notice the difference between 99 RON and 95 RON, particulary in the Rallye. The pick up isn't as good with a lover octane fuel. Same in T.

I tried BP Ultimate in the rally car and it seemed to give more lower end pick up vs the VPower. On a big event when you have to use whatever fuel is available you really notice the difference between standard fuel in the middle of no where that's 95 RON and a main Shell or BP franchise when you can get the good stuff.

I've heard good things about Tesco 99 but never tried it as I've never seen it on sale. I don't go to Tesco for a start but there aren't many outlets listed in the South East.

This is quite interesting:

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuni ... ults.shtml

Reaction score
I used to be religious about using V-Power but now just use 95 - I really can't tell any difference. Actually, that's not quite true - if anything it runs worse on V-Power during the 60-90 secs from cold - like it's running too rich.

I do wonder about the quality of the V-Power I get from my local Shell station though - as fewer people use it, it wouldn't surprise me if it sits around in the forecourt's tank for longer and degrades over time.

Only once have I filled up with V-Power and thought 'holy sh*t what a difference' - and that wasn't when I used my local Shell, but one in Somerset.

I would use V-Power or similar for the track though, just to be safe.

Reaction score
I just to use V-Power and Ultimate all the time until recently. Prices are just far too high and with everything else going up (i.e. food costs, living costs, car tax, etc) I'm gonna have to watch the pennies somewhere!

I just whipped up a quick spreadsheet of how much more it would cost me per year to run the Trophy on high octane stuff compared to normal 95 Ron. On a low guestimate of how much I use it's about £80 per year difference. But if I've been using it as much as I have been lately it could potentially be £153 a year (based on £1.13 normal and £1.20 98 ron).

Question is - do you think its worth spending say £100 extra a year on higher octane fuel? After all - thats a 205/40/16 Mich PE2 balanced and fitted!!

Reaction score
I ran on 95ron when I first had it, then switched to v-power, and now I've gone back to 95ron. I've found very little difference in performance or mpg so I'm sticking to the cheap stuff. I'll just use redex regularly to keep things clean.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Always BP Ultimate so can't comment on the effect of 95 ron, interestingly a friend with an evo says he gets a slightly better MPG from BP98 than he does from Tesco99.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
What's one ron amonst friends :wink: Think you're correct actually.

Reaction score
Always run mine on V-Power.

Ran my past 3 cars on it regardless of the addition cost.

I don't understand people saying they can't afford it over normal juice though? :roll:
It's about £2.50 more a tank or something daft......not even the cost of a pint.