Front grille replacement

Reaction score
My trophy front grille is really faded, I'm having the front bumper painted and was thinking it might be worth replacing.

Has anyone else done this? or would I be better of using a good product to bring it back up?

Thanks
Dean

Reaction score
I replaced mine. A good product is alright but will only last a short time. You could remove the grill and use some black trim spray paint. But for the time and effort needed a new one is better.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I took the route of removing it, cleaned and prepared it, primer painted it, and then sprayed it. A coat or two of lacquer to finish.

20141004_04.jpg

20141004_05.jpg

20141004_07.jpg

Reaction score
Nice job there mate.

Was it easy to remove or is it a full bumper off job?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Nice job there mate.

Was it easy to remove or is it a full bumper off job?
Thanks mate.

The bumper can stay on but it was a bit of a chore removing the grille. You have to be careful and take your time because it's easy to snap the plastic retaining clips! It's a fine balance because you need to be quite firm to pop them out so it's worth taking your time to locate where all the clips are and then take extra care when the time comes to remove it.

Reaction score
Ok mate. I will get some spare grille clips even though pricey for what they are!

Just a thought but has anyone tried the heat gun method on faded plastics?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ok mate. I will get some spare grille clips even though pricey for what they are!

Just a thought but has anyone tried the heat gun method on faded plastics?
The heat gun method seems popular (having read about on other forums) but I'm not sure how successful or long-lasting the results are.

Andy, did you use a matt black spray?
I actually went with Satin Black in the end Chris. Halfords finest! :smile: (Along with Halfords base plastic primer as well during the preparation stage).

Reaction score
Looks great and you have inspired me to do mine this weekend! When you say you prepared it. Did you sand it or just clean it up with a spray before applying the primer? Thanks

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Looks great and you have inspired me to do mine this weekend! When you say you prepared it. Did you sand it or just clean it up with a spray before applying the primer? Thanks
I spent a full weekend on it, Peter. I thoroughly cleaned and lightly sanded it down before applying the primer.

I'll say again though... just be careful with those finicky plastic retaining clips! They can be b**tards! :smile:

EDIT: Link to my thread - http://cliotrophy.co.uk/threads/165.44314/page-4#post-395601