Reaction score
I'm going to order a new set of discs tonight for the front! Going to go with ebc drilled and grooved + red stuff pads. I was going to go down the standard disc road but changed my mind! :D I just want to confirm before i go ahead and order, what size the front discs are? I can't remember if there 280mm or 283mm?

Reaction score
trophy380 said:
I'm going to order a new set of discs tonight for the front! Going to go with ebc drilled and grooved + red stuff pads. I was going to go down the standard disc road but changed my mind! :D I just want to confirm before i go ahead and order, what size the front discs are? I can't remember if there 280mm or 283mm?

I would advise against the ebc set up. I have not had it on the Clio, but on a previous car and it was not good. Also the track community in general have a low opinion of ebc stuff.

FWIW, the HC Discs from Brembo combined with the Pagid (or Ferodo) pads is a great set-up for the Trophy. My Pagid pads are half worn after 15k miles, with a couple of track days thrown in, so they are economical too. The discs also still look good.

Make sure you change the brake fluid, braided hoses are also good.

Sorry I am not helping with the disc size, but I think the ebc stuff is a big mistake.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have no experience of the set up you are planning but agree with what vamos has posted, I have the pagid/brembo/goodridge combination and it is well tried on the forum and is an excellent setup for the Trophy.

Reaction score
ok I'll keep what you've both said in mind! I'll have another look today! Do you know where I could find the Brembo discs and Pagid or Ferodo pads?

Reaction score
Pete @ Autonation provided me with my HC discs & I got my Ferrodo pads & lines from JMS Tuning.
HTHs

Reaction score
Trophy No.
trophy380 said:
ok I'll keep what you've both said in mind! I'll have another look today! Do you know where I could find the Brembo discs and Pagid or Ferodo pads?

http://www.yozzasport.co.uk/proddetail. ... rt_172_182

http://www.yozzasport.co.uk/proddetail. ... io_172_182

This is my setup, personally I would call them rather than book online as they may do you a deal if you want brake fluid and lines as well. The Discs are cheaper than Renault standard ones. You could also go for the grooved brembos but I don't personally think its worth the extra money.

As spacemonkey suggests you could contact Tom at JMS tuning I got a good price on my rear discs and pads from him. £135 delivered.

Reaction score
I'll agree that EBC stuff is generally cack from my own experience and that of my friends. It's cheap for a reason...

And i'll also recommend the Brembo HC discs with Ferodo pads, has this combination on other cars too and it's just great!

Reaction score
My car runs Brembo MAX discs, Pagid Blue pads and Goodridge brake lines with decent fluid and works very well.

Personally for a road car I'd run Castrol Respone Super DOT4 fluid as it works very well, is compatiable with other DOT3 & 4 fluids and yet has boiling points as high if not higher than some DOT 5.1 fluids. Not to be confused with DOT5 silicone based fluids which sometimes are not compatiable with DOT 3 or 4 fluids which needs full brake system flushed before using.

Dry boiling point, wet boiling point in degrees centigrade

DOT3 205, 140
DOT4 230, 155
DOT5 260, 180
DOT5.1 270, 191

Castrol Super Response DOT4 280, 190.

Reaction score
I am a big fan of the Motul RBF660 brake fluid. Dry boiling point 312, wet BP 216. It's a serious fluid, and not all that expensive either (costs about 15 quid for the change compared to 7 quid for ordinary fluid).

Anyone who has ever boiled their fluid on track before will agree that spending that little bit extra on avoiding the horror of no brakes is well worth it.

Reaction score
vamos said:
trophy380 said:

I would advise against the ebc set up. I have not had it on the Clio, but on a previous car and it was not good. Also the track community in general have a low opinion of ebc stuff.

FWIW, the HC Discs from Brembo combined with the Pagid (or Ferodo) pads is a great set-up for the Trophy. My Pagid pads are half worn after 15k miles, with a couple of track days thrown in, so they are economical too. The discs also still look good.

Make sure you change the brake fluid, braided hoses are also good.

Sorry I am not helping with the disc size, but I think the ebc stuff is a big mistake.

I will 2nd that, 007 has the HC brembo discs, ferodo ds2500 pads and goodridge hoses and I have to say they are probably the best upgrade I have done to the trophy. Work well from cold, but astonishingly powerful when warmed up, and also seem to last aaaaages aswell.

Not the most expensive setup either, around £250 for the lot which I didn't think was bad.

Reaction score
Avoid ebc like the plague! The discs are expensive and the setup will be worse than standard!

Depending on whether you want a good looking disc or not you could go for brembo max over hc! I don't think there is much performance difference but they look nice! IMO braided line don't do much! Most people who say they are great will have had fluid done at the same time and I would suggest that it is the fluid that makes the difference mainly!

Out if all the pads I have used pagid blue were the best but to be fair ferodo ds are similar and much cheaper!

But IMO good fluid well bled is by far the most important part!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
stay away from EBC - they also own cheese factories and often confuse their products and send out discks made of old milk. This is a lie, told purely for effect

HC disks and a good pad - as has been said make sure you go for some good fluid, id go down the dot 4 route as 5.1 needs changing every 6 months (should be changed every 6 months rather) or your lines will be ruined.

I preffered the pedal feel on internally and externally braided lines, the oem ones are internally braided but under sustained heavy braking they can start to give up the ghost, but by then your fluid will be on it's limit anyway.

And as Vamos has said - if you've ever boiled your fluid you'll know how important it is in the stopping dept. By some brown pants if you don't keep on top of the fluid.

Reaction score
Just want to bump this thread as I want new pads and discs all round.

I was going to purchase EBC discs and pads all round but sounds like they aren't that good.

Where is the cheapest place online to get the best set up i.e Brembo disc and Ferodo dc2500 pads?

Cheers

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cheapest place I found Brembo HC discs was Ebay for £55 inc. P & P.

For the front pads Yozzasport seems best bet for DS2500's.

On the rear I got full set of OEM discs and pads for £117.50 delivered from a Renault Dealer in Wolverhampton.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
The rears don't need any messing with! Infact on the most track focused Clio I.e. 172 cup the rears we so bad they failed mots but having drive both on track I have to say I prefer the 172 cups setup to the trophy's!

Reaction score
i got brembos and ds2500 pads all round on standard rear discs from KTec, i found there service spot on with fast delivery and good prices.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
id say yes... i've had both ds2500 and the rs4-2's. keep the rear disks standard - no point in changing, the rear pads are a bit soft for my liking - although only 20% of the braking is done by the rears i run ds2500 on the back. the front is running brembo max and pagid blues. don't forget to consider changing your fluid - makes a massive difference. go for a recognised dot 4 imo - dot 5.1 needs changing too often due to it's different make-up not absorbing water and rusting your lines internally.