Reaction score
As one of the embarrassed enthusiasts who in trying to unpin the adjuster managed to break the adjuster shaft, I have just taken them off the car for reconditioning.

The good news is that they were easy to remove and that the strut top nut (21 mm) was not difficult to undo. The top mount bearings have both lost some grease, so as a precaution I shall replace them. The only problem was that I could not remove the abs sensors, even after removing the securing bolt, so had to be very careful threading the damper past the cable.

Three interesting points. Firstly the dust shield incorporates a bump stop – don’t know whether this is an addition to the hydraulic bump-stop which was described in the original write-up, or whether that was a figment of a journalist’s imagination. Secondly we have weighed them for freight purposes – 5.7 kilos - heavy!! Last but not least, both canisters can be rotated by hand, so I have requested that this be checked. Will report on the outcome of this, as it could be a possible warranty claim – which could be most helpful for some high mileage owners.