Reaction score
Did you go back to Ben and ask him about it at all? Just interested as to what his reponse may have been?

Reaction score
Jimbo the sound that your car made, did it seem to dissappear when you gave it a little revs? I noticed that my car has just developed a rattle when the engine is warm. When stationary you can hear it but apply a little revs and it goes?! Then reappears after a couple of minutes. Was this the same as yours?I wouldnt describe mine as metallic though.

Thanks
Sam

Reaction score
Have you guys read into the 'de-phaser' pulley at all? This rattles and tends to fail after a while.

Its a cambelt off job iirc, but not changed as part of a cambelt service, unless you ask for it to be done specifically.

Lots of info about it on CS.

Reaction score
I didn't bother going back to Ben - to be fair I suppose the rattle's not necessarily due to his work, and it could have come about of its own accord. But when I took the car to be serviced by him, despite me having specifically asked that the kits were used, I'm pretty sure he only changed the belts. Weird. I should've made more of it at the time I guess but he only had the belts there and I'd taken a day off work and driven over to him for it, so I didn't want to call the whole thing off, and I figured if he thought only the belts needed changing he probably knew what he was talking about. My mistake - it seems likely that it's one of the kit's other components that was causing the rattle, and it wouldn't have happened had the kits been changed instead of just the belts.

Not heard of the de-phaser pulley... guess it could have been that. Car's only done 37k though so I wouldn't expect there to be too much wear on too many components, and the rattle's now gone so unless Wests changed the de-phaser pulley it must have been the aux/cambelt or water pump.

Sam the rattle was only really audible at tickover but I'm not sure if that wasn't just because the engine noise drowned it out at higher engine speeds. It was obvious that it was coming from the belts/water pump area as I could hear it most clearly by crouching by the offside wheelarch. If that sounds familiar, maybe it's the same thing?