TRL

Reaction score
:) ...he will. After selling no.250 2 years ago..he's back for more. It took 3 197s and a 200 to make me
realise that the Trophy is the daddy........... =D>

Reaction score
He should be picking the car up next week sometime,

Pretty sure he is on the forum already.

Tom

TRL

Reaction score
Dealer...well, in a way - but I work for BMW. I have been a seriel Renault buyer since
1989.....I just get bored easy....ask Art Dealer - he has sold me 2 cars in 6 months.
These are my Sunday toys...perhaps this one is for keeps as good trophy's are
getting hard to find.
For the record - 3 renault 21 turbos, 2 renault 5 turbo 2's, a 5GT ph1, Willy 3, Clio V6 230 and V6 255,
Clio trophy no 250, Clio 197 F1 edition, Clio 197 Cup, Megane R26R, Clio 197 F1 edition again,
Clio RS200 ff with cup pack, Clio 197 Cup again, and now another trophy no 84......

and you know what - I reckon I lost money on every god damn one.....so not a renault dealer!

Oh...and to balance things up, theres a Vauxhall VXR8 6.0 in the garage too......... :shock:

Reaction score
CRIKES!!!

From this list am interested to hear what your least + most favourite cars are + why...

TRL

Reaction score
Jeez that's a tough one...put it this way if you lined them all up and said "pick 3".....I would probably say,
Clio V6 255, Megane R26R and Clio trophy.
The V6 is a far better ride than the earlier 5 Turbo 2. But its a bit like saying Stirling Moss is better than Schumi....
they are from different era's, and cannot be compared. I love the head turning, the sound (mod exhaust is a must), the weight shifting over the rear, the threat that it might just bite you on the arse....
In 89 I loved the 21 turbo as a less obvious choice to the predictable Cosworth. It went like stink once you got over the lag.
The 5 turbo 2 with Devil exhaust sounded like no car should with just 1.4 litres. Terrible brakes, huge heat sink in to the small of your back - no a/c, and fish tailed in the wet in any of the 3 lower gears, thanks to metric Michelin TRX tyres of the day.
The Meg R26R is astonishing. Telapathic steering, ultra light, no lag and punches above its weight but those seats and harnesses are for young fit guys, not fat 40 year old dads. In the end I caved in to the comprimises.
The Clio 197s were all great on the track if kept above 5000rpm, but on the road its obvious that Renault has had to disguise the weight and lack of torque...just a bit underwhelming - even though I have had so many of them. Recaros are a must and tbh the F1 with all the extras and cup chassis is a far nicer place to be than a stripped out cup.
Finally the trophy...grip defies logic, a vtec type rush at 5500rpm (missing in the 197), lovely seats, light and chuckable and only recognised by those "in the know"......but you all knew that bit, thats why you are here.
What I can say though is that this is the only manafacturer I can think of that never gets its hot hatches wrong, I honestly know that I can buy any new RS product without test driving it because I know the DNA will be just just right,
and so far for me at least, this has been the case.