Reaction score
tcbisiop.gif

Not sure if Nik has seen this yet, but here is his Trophy with "subtle" front brakes today at Smeartharpe Airfield...

65845729-M.jpg

Day

Reaction score
That's perfectly normal with the setup he's running.

The airfield is bloody hard on the brakes as you tend to be braking hard for a hairpin etc and not gratdually like on a flowing circuit.

However he did spend 30 minutes cleaning all the residue off earlier LOL

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yep, perfectly normal with the PF '97 pads. Looks spectacular though :D

Reaction score
:shock:

Never seen brakes like that before!

Anyway Nik - what's with the ballast?! I had 3 passengers in my car the other day and the difference in pick up was really appreciable - ditch the dead weight!!

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
he he, yeah, everyone was getting a bit serious stripping seats, and carpets out to beat their times so we decided to lighten the mood a bit by going out 3 up.

We just held off putting someone in the boot too for extra rear end stability ;)

amm

Reaction score
Nik said:
Yep, perfectly normal with the PF '97 pads. Looks spectacular though :D
nik could you tell me how long thay last for as that looks like thay dont last long :?:

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I cant really put an exact figure on it as it varys on number of trackdays and the circuits they are used on.

The pads last very well compared to others, but they eat discs so you will uses 2 sets of discs to a set of pads. I fitted new brembo discs and a new set of PF '97s in January and I've replaced the discs this evening. If I remember correctly thats about 4000 miles including 2 days at Donington, a day at Bedford, and a couple of airfield days. I'm off to the 'ring tomorrow, and having looked at the pads tonight I expect they will be dead by the time i get back too.

The Brembo High Carbon discs are quite soft so they dont last long, but work excellently as the pad really bites into them. I've considered getting more expensive discs that might last longer, but i expect the cost will outweigh the advantages. No point using expensive discs when the pads are so agressive, the Brembos are only £65-70 a pair.

To be honest it's the airfield days that have killed them, they normally last a fair bit longer than this and more trackdays. At the airfield the circuits we run mean you do a lot of hard stopping to almost a standstill. The speeds on track are normally higher, but braking is not so agressive generally.