Reaction score
Yes i know you're lurking on this site somewhere....

Just thought i'd say hope you enjoyed kicking my tyres, using my petrol to go on a test drive when you had no real intention of buying....

Word of advice, if you are going to make an offer on someone's car, you need to be able to find fault with it. Don't turn up, say the car is immaculate, drives very well and then tell me it's worth £9k and pull out a series of adverts for cars with twice the mileage of mine as justification of why you are offering the insulting price you are.

Good luck with your search and hope you don't manage to piss off too many others with your timewasting antics :twisted:

Reaction score
Oh dear what a cock. I got more than £9K for mine P/Xing it. I don't think this lull will last much longer, if you can hold out G, I would.

Reaction score
i am holding out... the price it's at is the price i'm after.... i've reduced it to be realistic and i know roughly what p-ex values are so won't be giving it away.

have 2 or 3 more people interested who are genuinely after a Trophy so we'll wait and see

Reaction score
Gareth, if he wants a car for that money, there is always your old beloved Trophy! :roll:

Reaction score
Yeah thats a pretty poor show from your 'alleged' buyer. Pointless and a complete waste of your time.

It might be worth saying to potential buyers though when they call that you are only prepared to drop X amount - hopefully that should let them know where they stand and put off any wasters.

Reaction score
Cool Hand Luke said:
It might be worth saying to potential buyers though when they call that you are only prepared to drop X amount - hopefully that should let them know where they stand and put off any wasters.

Luke - sound advice... another of my mates told me the very same thing and i have spoken with the interested people and told them that whilst there might be some room for negotiation i'm not prepared to drop to stupid prices.

yes there's plenty of choice out there to fit many budgets, so if you have a £9k budget you are looking more at a higher mileage car than mine. simple really, but i guess there's always a few that will try and push their luck for a big bargain. I just seem to have attracted more than my fair share of timewasters

Reaction score
Cool Hand Luke said:

You obviously have not sold many cars private :?

You get the buyer to make the offers, whats the point of advertising for say 11K & telling him you will take 10.5 or less???????????????????

Ask questions like whats your budget, is the cash in place, have you got to sell your car first etc.

If in dought tell them to 'off'.

Reaction score
The problem at the minute is that there are a few cars under £9000 and that's driven by what they are getting offered by their dealer. It starts a chain of lost confidence in the prices. If they get £750 more than they are offered they are going to be thinking they have swum the channel.

All I can say is that mid twenty thousand milers are selling for around the ten thousand mark, a bit less for an 05 plate and a bit more for lower mileage. Not bad considering the average real price paid new.

Hopefully the low priced ones on pistonheads will sell and come off the system.

We really need a batch of positive reviews in Evo etc as that sustains the values.

Reaction score
It sounds daft, but I never let a potential buyer drive my car. The car is still under warranty so anything that is wrong will be covered under warranty. I don't even allow friends to drive my car, even if they're insured.

Also if they refuse to buy without test driving then I ask for £40 deposit to cover petrol. I will also dictate the route to take. If they buy the car, I'll give the £40 back to them (by deducting it off the final price agreed). I make all of this clear on the phone before they come. Those that are serious will still come. Of those that do come I make a judgement there and then as to whether I will still charge them - the fact they're willing to make the trip is commitment enough for me.

O.

Reaction score
oliie said:
It sounds daft, but I never let a potential buyer drive my car. The car is still under warranty so anything that is wrong will be covered under warranty.

Agreed :wink:

I also bought my DC5 this way as my insurance didn't cover me comprehensively to drive it.
You know within minutes if the car is for you or not in my experience.

Reaction score
he's just phoned me back, this time with his best offer of £9750. i was obviously too polite yesterday. cheeky fooking cunt is all i can say

Reaction score
i bought mine on the back of a 1 hour passenger ride from Dallas (owner at the time) I knew the moment that we had covered a couple of miles that the car was right for me. Did all of the usual checks afterwards but was happy in the knowledge that, should anything go wrong, I'm well within warranty period! :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
lmao, honestly.. as soon as he made that offer you should have frog marched his ass out of there....

when he phoned you back you should have said, "do you mind me recording you repeating that offer, as I think it would make a good comedy sketch"

If I were to sell #274, i'd advertise it at a price. When i got interested parties asking how much i wanted for it, the reply would be "did you read the ad... that much" end of. no negotiation. I'd price it correctly and only take that much. If they're interested they'll pay it, if not don't watse my time.

Reaction score
Everyone expects to be haggled down slightly thats why they put for sale for couple hundered more than your willing to except then there room for negotiation but was it £1250 less than asking price? :shock: Thats just stupid! :lol:

Reaction score
mine's priced to sell.... i'm not really prepared to drop my pants on price now as i've already reduced it to realistic pricing

Reaction score
g40steve said:
Cool Hand Luke said:

You obviously have not sold many cars private :?

You get the buyer to make the offers, whats the point of advertising for say 11K & telling him you will take 10.5 or less???????????????????

Ask questions like whats your budget, is the cash in place, have you got to sell your car first etc.

If in dought tell them to 'off'.

I've sold a good number of cars privately Steve and unfortunately know the hassles and time wasting that is involved sometimes.

I wrote that in a rush before work this morning and admit it could have been worded better - though i think Gareth knew what i meant. The final negotiations are usually done when the buyer has seen the car and wants to talk about a deal - but on the phone beforehand its well worth letting them know where they stand i.e. re-iterating that you will not drop hundreds off the price if thats the case, etc, etc.

Reaction score
FunkyMunky said:
mine's priced to sell.... i'm not really prepared to drop my pants on price now as i've already reduced it to realistic pricing

Thats fair enough attracts buyers if you say the price has been dropped.