Reaction score
Hello, quick question from a new member, so apologies if this has been covered :oops:

I've had my standard 182 cup for nearly a year (05 plate with just 37K on clock). last night on the M5 the exhaust gas warning light suddenly flicked on & stayed on...

All levels are bang on & it's still running perfectly.

I've got it booked into renault in cheltenham early next week, but I have to drive it in the interim, just hope I'm not going to knacker anything in the meantime.

Cheers

Paul

Reaction score
Welcome along Paul, sorry to hear of your issue.

Many of us have had the emissions light on. Can be for various reasons - there are two sensors in the exhaust, one upstream of the cat and one downstream, therefore it can be due to either failing. Generally, I think it would be best to avoid driving the car if you can, but I'm sure many people don't. If it's running perfectly then it doesn't sound too bad. When mine failed, the fumes coming out of the exhaust were pretty potent so I think it was over fuelling - hence I avoided driving it.. Mine was the upstream sensor which (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is the more important of the two for altering fuelling levels..

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Spoke to a very experienced mechanic about mine and he said this occurs commonly on sports, due to constant change in the way you drive. The O2 sensors cannot seem to adjust quick enough from a long drive to sat in traffic and vice versa. A replacement would cure the problem but apparently they are likely to follow the same pattern after a year or so.

Reaction score
cheers fellas - it does indeed get driven in all manner styles, as I live in the cotswolds which is full of un-gatsoed lanes, plus the car gets a fair bit of motorway use...

the sensor issue would make sense, i'll drive it as little as possible until renault can plug it into diagnostics. it's just sod's law, as our scooby is currently out of action, awaiting a new exhaust!

many thanks, P

Reaction score
don't worry about it fella, like the guys say, could be a failed sensor, or could be a leak in the exhaust like mine was. A mechanic friend of mine told me to fix the leak and go for a blast to clear it out. I left the car over night and the light went out. bingo.

Reaction score
took it into renault @ cheltenham today - turned out to be the knock sensor! after 5 years of being run on nothing but high octane, I got caught very low on fuel & had to put in a small amount of 95ron as it was all the garage had, seems this confused it's tiny brain.
Anyway, they cleared the fault light but tried to charge me for an hour of labour, when they only had the car in for 40 mins, so i got them to reduce the bill. don't you just love main dealers...

Reaction score
Paul_S_Cup said:
took it into renault @ cheltenham today - turned out to be the knock sensor! after 5 years of being run on nothing but high octane, I got caught very low on fuel & had to put in a small amount of 95ron as it was all the garage had, seems this confused it's tiny brain.
Anyway, they cleared the fault light but tried to charge me for an hour of labour, when they only had the car in for 40 mins, so i got them to reduce the bill. don't you just love main dealers...

had a similar problem with mine yesterday and took it to the local today and he cleared the knock sensor fault and it is yet to return. Fingers crossed!

My local independant also did it for free :)