EVO magazine 095

Reaction score
Interesting mate... I say that because I was massively disappointed by the Focus RS, hence it would be towards the bottom of the list for me. Obviously, it's a very personal/subjective thing but my then partner and I walked away disappointed, went over the road to the Honda dealer, and bought a brand new EP3 Type-R (after a test drive). We both loved the Type-R.

Talking of Type-Rs, the DC2 would probably be towards the top of the list with the Trophy for me. Again, talking of Type-Rs, I get loads of stick for not particularly liking the original EK9 Civic Type-R. Honestly, I didn't get what all the fuss was about - despite being somewhat of a Honda/Type-R fan. I just didn't get the enjoyment and excitement I felt in the likes of the Trophy (or other sorted hatches).

I'm basing this on driving my brothers EK9 way back in the mid 2000's so my memories might not be 100% correct 😉

I loved driving it at the time.
It was the sort of car that never seemed playful or would cock a wheel or start stepping out on you,it always seemed very much a track biased setup.As in it wasn't really interested in being playful,unlike something like a Trophy or even it's more illustrious brother,the DC2 Integra which could and would step out on you if you provoked it enough or you were really pushing it.

I still remember driving the EK9 and the faster you went into a turn the more it just stuck to its line,often the harder you drove it the more it would just go where you pointed it,no understeer.
For pure driving thrills the DC2 would still have the upper hand on it.

But the combination of the handling combined with that screaming B16 all while sitting in those brilliant Recaro's left an impression on me.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well, I've finally had time to sit down and mull over the cars on that front cover. In my mind I'm setting myself a specific criteria; an early morning canter over one of my favourite roads on the doorstep. It's not bowling green smooth trackday tarmac out here, it's typical Northern B-road, all clattering pockmarked surfaces, water, leaves, gravelly bits, mostly single track tight between unforgiving dry stone walls, a steep uphill bit with some hairpins, some fast but dangerously cresty moorland with wandering sheep to focus the mind. What I'm after here is something small, entertaining, yet also something that requires some skill at the helm and due respect needed to keep it out of the ditch or wall.

So, here goes:

1. The Trophy, perhaps the predictable outcome given we're on the Trophy forum, but experience tells me that for my criteria the T would be, for me, the pick of that bunch for the circumstances.

2. The 205 GTi. I know on certain bits of my notional journey it's going to be very lively at the back end but that's part of the thrill! A 1.9 in white please like the one me and my Dad used to drive to the RAC rally stages in, or later on the Miami Blue 1.6 with lowered rear beam, fast road spec engine with that cylinder head I did for it which had it running quarter miles in the mid 15's.

3. The Mk1 Golf (with the caveat that it can be the tatty black example which I borrowed for an afternoon test drive from a friend when I was 17 - tuned by the same garage who would later tune my classic Mini's the thing was .... alarming. I still regret not buying it).

4. The Clio Williams. Not much I need to say here, it's a 205 GTi plus isn't it really, but a bit safer which just tempers the thrill.

5. I suppose, for curiosity's sake, here I have to jump into that glorious seat and grasp that lovely gearknob in the Integra, I've never driven one and that intrigues me. I'd love to know how it's going to perform on my B-road blast. My gut feeling is it's going to feel too long in the wheelbase, and really hope it's more accomplished than the EP3 Type R's my Dad had, I never got on with them at all.

6. The 106. It's going to be slow, but I think the size and delicacy of the handling will be right up my street. I like getting the best out of cars with limited resources. I've got an anecdote about a Pistonheads run many years ago, a Fiat 500 1.4 and a 400hp Porsche 911 Turbo, but I'll keep that for another time...:ROFLMAO:

So that's my top six pick.

The rest? In no particular order... The Clio 197 is going to be underwhelming because I know that platform only really got into it's stride with the 200. The Mini was one of those cars which never lived up to it's promise in my experience, and I don't think it's got the suspension travel to deal with the moorland bit - the back end's going to be in the air and I'm going to be rolling into the reservoir below. The Elan? Just no, a 2 seat open top car with fwd doesn't add up for me, so the little Fiat Barchetta can exit stage left too. That 306 Rallye, one of the most frustrating hot hatches I ever drove, never felt anywhere near the 167hp it was touted as having, and the terminal understeer, never had anywhere near the sparkle of my 205's. The Focus RS, it's going to feel too much of a blunt instrument on my little route I think, undeniably quick, but not usably so with those stone walls so close. The Golf Mk5, I nearly bought one once, drove it for an afternoon found it all very 'grown up' and decided to stick with my 182 Cup thanks. The Corrado, it's going to feel like a classic car isn't it in this company, and I can think of more interesting classics to punt down a stretch of tricky tarmac, then there's the little Puma, it's not really in the running at all here is it really.

I think that's it. When I look at that cover, it does evoke all sorts of great memories - cars, roads, drives, people, places, I do think we went through an era of being spoilt for choice with great drivers cars.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yep it does to me too Ed - that’s to draw in the crowd and watch it go - I think I’ll attend this auction as you just never know

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah it would be very unfortunate if you got an itchy nose half way through this car auction Nick 😉
It might be a real tough tester of your willpower to not buy....

What are pretty decent DC2's generally selling for now Nick?

Would really like a DC2 someday,absolutely brilliant piece of kit.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah it would be very unfortunate if you got an itchy nose half way through this car auction Nick 😉
It might be a real tough tester of your willpower to not buy....

What are pretty decent DC2's generally selling for now Nick?

Would really like a DC2 someday,absolutely brilliant piece of kit.

Not sure really Francis as you don’t see them now come up for sale very often, I’d say like any collectable car it really depends on provenance and condition - it’s the best colour also in white, not a black or red fan really on these DC2’s.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not sure really Francis as you don’t see them now come up for sale very often, I’d say like any collectable car it really depends on provenance and condition - it’s the best colour also in white, not a black or red fan really on these DC2’s.
After a bit of digging this morning out of interest, I'm surprised to see that the values of DC2's seem to be all over the place, very difficult to predict what this one will sell for.