EVO magazine 095

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The one with the greatest FWD test. If anyone is willing to sell me their copy, or could be good enough to offer a loan (I would cover Royal Mail tracked costs both ways) I would be over the moon. It's the one issue of the mag that's missing from my Trophy haul

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
If you don't manage to purchase one Craig I've got one that you can borrow - no need to pay my side of the postage.

Great selection of cars in the test.

mag95.jpg

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The one with the greatest FWD test. If anyone is willing to sell me their copy, or could be good enough to offer a loan (I would cover Royal Mail tracked costs both ways) I would be over the moon. It's the one issue of the mag that's missing from my Trophy haul
I may have a duplicate of this issue, I'll have a look on the shelves and let you know.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Don't want to be controversial or start a war - however I'm not sure which car would be my first pick to drive again from that front cover ????

Reaction score
That would be a tricky one to compile.

It would be great if you could choose cars that have different characteristics,even though all of them are FWD.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for the kind offer guys. I might have just secured one off Ebay after some determined searching, but no pictures were included #mightbeascam #fingerscrossed

As for the list, for me, it has to be the Integra-R. It's the daddy, despite being a fully paid -up Clio RS fan club member. However, that's just as a weekend toy, and for a daily, the extra torque of the F4R might just make a case for itself.

Have owned a seriously modified 250bhp R53 JCW, coilovers etc, and driven a GP extensively. A great car, but there was so much more potential if BMW had just been a little braver. I actually prefer the later R56 GP. Had a 106 quicksilver then GTi before my first 172, such a sweet chassis so I'd love to try the 306 Rallye. Still own a Clio 200 too, so I guess that covers me on the 197 angle. I'd take the Williams over the 205, and the fast Ford I'd really like to try is a Racing Puma.

So many great cars there really, they just don't make 'em like they used too!

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Evo's top 6 where as follows

6th - Golf GTI Mk 5
5th - Mini GP
4th - Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9
3rd - Clio Williams
2nd - Clio Trophy

1st - Integra Type R

evo.jpg

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Integra would be first for me too Craig - had a new White one in 1998. Struggling with the next two places - However Focus RS would have been in the top 6 too - again had a new one in 2002. Golf Mk5 is a great car but I'm not sure it would make this list for a Sunday morning blast - but as for a daily driver 1st place would be a no brainer.

Reaction score
Having only driven a few of those selected,I would have to say DC2 for the top spot as well.

It has the magic handling,great body hugging Recaros where you sit just perfectly and all the controls are just so right.

Then to top it off you have that unreal combination of one of the best manual gearboxes mated to that banzai/demented B18C engine that is a 9k revs engineering marvel.

Owning one really would get you up and out early for a Sunday morning blast on your favourite roads.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Puma Racing would have been better suited to this test, however the 1.7 Yamaha engine Puma was a great drive in 1997. Only made half of the 1000 cars due to it’s very high list price at the time - however with all the craftsmanship that went into the build at Tickford I can see why it cost £23000 new.

I was told they got delivered a standard car without the wings attached and Tickford fitted the new wider ones and all the upgrades.

Reaction score
I'm probably wrong on this and I wouldn't rely too much on my memory but I always thought they
basically stuck the wider wings onto the originals, which is why they suffered from rust and rot
as it was a moisture trap between the two bits of metal.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Looks like your right Francis - however after reading this it looks like it had new wider fronts fitted and the rears where attached over the quarters.

Reaction score
Ah sorry Nick, you are correct.

It was the rears that they put on over the originals, that is where the trouble usually starts on them
now that I think about it.

Still a great looking car though, Fords from around the late 1990's/early 2000's really did offer some
really good looking, cutting edge designed cars for regular people.
The Mk1 Focus RS still looks amazing, maybe the best looking from its successors as well.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Puma Racing would have been better suited to this test, however the 1.7 Yamaha engine Puma was a great drive in 1997. Only made half of the 1000 cars due to it’s very high list price at the time - however with all the craftsmanship that went into the build at Tickford I can see why it cost £23000 new.

Arguably, the best car here was the Lotus Elan M100.

Expensively over engineered, a £26k 1996 price tag meant it lost out to the MX5 & MR2`s.

The handling was finely balanced to the point that it was criticised because it could not be provoked to misbehave.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Focus rs

Clio trophy

Clio Williams for me, in no particular order.

Interesting mate... I say that because I was massively disappointed by the Focus RS, hence it would be towards the bottom of the list for me. Obviously, it's a very personal/subjective thing but my then partner and I walked away disappointed, went over the road to the Honda dealer, and bought a brand new EP3 Type-R (after a test drive). We both loved the Type-R.

Talking of Type-Rs, the DC2 would probably be towards the top of the list with the Trophy for me. Again, talking of Type-Rs, I get loads of stick for not particularly liking the original EK9 Civic Type-R. Honestly, I didn't get what all the fuss was about - despite being somewhat of a Honda/Type-R fan. I just didn't get the enjoyment and excitement I felt in the likes of the Trophy (or other sorted hatches).

Reaction score
Interesting mate... I say that because I was massively disappointed by the Focus RS, hence it would be towards the bottom of the list for me. Obviously, it's a very personal/subjective thing but my then partner and I walked away disappointed, went over the road to the Honda dealer, and bought a brand new EP3 Type-R (after a test drive). We both loved the Type-R.

Talking of Type-Rs, the DC2 would probably be towards the top of the list with the Trophy for me. Again, talking of Type-Rs, I get loads of stick for not particularly liking the original EK9 Civic Type-R. Honestly, I didn't get what all the fuss was about - despite being somewhat of a Honda/Type-R fan. I just didn't get the enjoyment and excitement I felt in the likes of the Trophy (or other sorted hatches).

I was 21 when I got my focus rs, going from my first car (a 2004 Corsa) the rs holds fond memories for me, only had it a year sadly due to going self employed, but it felt so special and always wish I got another.

To me it's how a car makes you feel driving it, or if it's tucked in the garage over winter etc I've never been about out and out speed.