Reaction score
After subscribing to Evo for the past few years and having every issue bar 1,2,3 & 5 I have now stopped subscribing. I felt that it had become too much like a 'coffee table' magazine. Too much high end stuff and I felt that they had become too obsessed with their style of writing and photography. I much preferred 'old Evo.' There seemed to be more tests and more 'reasonably priced cars!' The buyers guides were good too. And suprisingly, I don't miss it! I think I'm just going to buy the odd issue in future or buy them from E-bay!

What do you reckon?

Reaction score
It is personal opinion - so I don't think it matters what we think! You are the reader after all. High-end means different things to different people too. I would like to think that one day I will have a 'high-end' car so why not fantasize about one in the interim?

I recently stopped subscribing to Car Magazine... if you think Evo is a coffee table mag you should see the latest copies of Car!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'd agree to some degree. I do miss the second hand car bits they did like the M3 project car recently, buyers guides etc.

Having said that I can understand why. They're circulation has grown and grown, with it come a power in the Auto market, so the manufacturers give them more and more news, time with the cars and 'scoops'.

As an editorial mag (and knowing a lot of editors) they will always try to get one up on any opponents and so have stryed away from its roots. Not the first and won't be the last to do it.

I do think they should spend some time thinking about how they became soo successful, instead of thinking about how good they are and what the next 12 months stories will be....

it's one thing being the best, but there could always be another that could take the market from them.....

Reaction score
I think Evo is definitely looking a lot more 'Car-like' of late. It's gone a bit too glossy for my liking. Just curious as to what people thought really. Would be interesting to know if many of their original subscribers are still with them.

Reaction score
i still like evo...definatley fills the void "performance car" left behind....and they published my letter this month too..."not true to type" p68...which i also posted on here too...

Reaction score
Ring the changes, with Internet and forums and the likes of Pistonheads, car magazines are probably going to become more conservative. The forums and other hard-core model mini-sites are like the fanzines of car media. TBH I gave up reading car magazines when I realised I had 'caught' ADD :)

Reaction score
artdealer said:
Ring the changes, with Internet and forums and the likes of Pistonheads, car magazines are probably going to become more conservative. The forums and other hard-core model mini-sites are like the fanzines of car media. TBH I gave up reading car magazines when I realised I had 'caught' ADD :)
Huh...mmm...can you repeat that I couldn't follow ya there :p :lol:

Reaction score
Got every issue and its still the best. I want to read about cars I'll never be able to afford. Top mag, look at the rest of the car mags, they're shocking with the possible exception of Autocar.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
son of solo said:
i still like evo...definatley fills the void "performance car" left behind....and they published my letter this month too..."not true to type" p68...which i also posted on here too...

I wondered who that was, I was going to write in asking if they were registered on here lol... nice one.

Reaction score
I would say it's as good as it's ever been and it's the only magazine I buy religously. This month's issue is particularly good, the trip to Sweden in an Evo drifting on snowy / icy roads whilst chasing the WRC is cool. Next month sees the hot hatch test (Trophy included 8) ) so it will definitely be worth buying!

Reaction score
Considering the larger readership I think they have done a fine job with the mag (unlike Edge magazine which has vanished up its own backside reveiw wise at least)

Next issue will be good - can't wait to see how the Trophy stacks up against the others.

(The new Corsa can't be that good can it????)

Reaction score
I will never cancel my subscription. Unless they say the new Corsa VXR is better than a Trophy. :lol: