Reaction score
Taking over from Pete G's post in the number plate thread, how does everyone use their ESP? (no responses about extra sensory perception please! :wink: )

Day to day driving, I just leave it on, you never know when you may need it's assitance (oil on the roads etc).

When I'm driving hard, or on the track I always ensure that it is switched off. I prefer the ability to measure the throttle myself through the tighter turns, and even if the front wheels do light up then the actual loss of traction does not feel as severe as when the computers take over if it is left on.

Not sure which would be quicker though, on or off. What do you lot reckon and how often and when do you disable the ESP?

Reaction score
Thanks for moving the topic to a new thread Oli!

I've personally found the traction control on the Trophy to be very lenient and pretty much leave it on all the time (bar at the track).

I can't see the need for it being off while driving on the road because if your front tyre is spinning then you're probably doing something wrong as a driver! :p

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
oliie said:
I can't see the need for it being off while driving on the road because if your front tyre is spinning then you're probably doing something wrong as a driver! :p

The only times I get the front wheels spinning are out of tight second gear corners, which I actually find great fun, a bit of a tussle between the road the car and me! I know it's probably not as efficient as using a little less throttle and keeping traction, but it's damn good fun! :p

You gonna come to the trackday ar Brands in August? Would be good to hook up again...

Reaction score
Only time i turn mine OFF on the roads is if im looking to get a good standing start. Away from lights or pulling out into heavy traffic etc. Aside from that it pretty much stays on. Im always a great believer that the weak point in the car is me. I would never be able to forgive myself if i switched it off, got a bit enthusiastic and put my Tomato Car into a ditch, fence, lampost etc.

Better to be safe than sorry!

Reaction score
My last outing was at Dunkeswell sprint - I could not understand why I was so slow (more than usual). for some reason I totally forgot about turning the TC off. Remembered for the last run - immediately saved 3 seconds in 109, and got back to my previous best time. BTW it is a very tight circuit. On the road it hardly ever intrudes.

Reaction score
wigstar1 said:
Only time i turn mine OFF on the roads is if im looking to get a good standing start. Away from lights or pulling out into heavy traffic etc. Aside from that it pretty much stays on. Im always a great believer that the weak point in the car is me. I would never be able to forgive myself if i switched it off, got a bit enthusiastic and put my Tomato Car into a ditch, fence, lampost etc.

Better to be safe than sorry!

Ditto the weak point/limiting factor comment (better to know your own limitations I reckon - much safer!).
Tomato car bit :lol:
The system can make some very subtle but effective interventions (I have felt mine adding power (gently)) to help catch oversteer, which I was just steering into whilst maintaining throttle position.

Reaction score
At all events we get a time for the first 64 feet - I am sure that what little inconsistencies there are (the odd 0.1 of a second), are more down to the driver than whether the tc is on or not.

Reaction score
I prefer doing standing starts with ESP/TCS off, it may not be any quicker but it is more fun and involving, working out what are the most revs and throttle you can use without the wheels slipping too much.

Reaction score
This is bizzare, I was testing the ESP out tonight on the way to the pub(!) I did a full-bore standing start from the lights and was bouncing off the rev limiter in first without the wheels spinning - really strange! It just felt slow and stifled, I put this down tho the ESP braking the wheels and did the same on the way home with the ESP off, it rocketed off the line with just a squeak from the tyres, much, much quicker off the line.

All obvious really, but I've never found the need to turn it off before because it's so unintrusive, but It's going off every time I need a quick getaway now.

Totally agree about the driver bit, I think this applies to 99% of drivers with modern machinery, you only have to see how fast a race driver can hoon a transit around a track to know this.

Reaction score
Glad i can have been of some assistance on the 'standing start' issue. It all came clear when i was trying to explain it to a female passenger i had with me in the car a few weeks back. I did however point out to her that she should never touch the ESP button in her Audi A3. . . . I dont want to be held responsible for any accidents!

Reaction score
I never turn it off because it never intrudes day to day on the road!

I read a Clarkson review of the Trophy and he said the ESP was the most laid back instance he's ever encountered, it just doesn't kick in. I think the car has so much mechanical grip it only needs to electronics if you do something very silly!!!

Reaction score
I think he put it quite well too...

"There is traction control but it’s the laziest, most ineffectual system in the world, not bothering to get off its fat arse once in a whole week of road rocketry. I got the impression after a while it was just a button on the dash, connected to nothing at all. And that’s a good thing. It meant I was in charge."

Or if you haven't read the whole article...

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/articl ... _2,00.html

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
I think he put it quite well too...

"There is traction control but it’s the laziest, most ineffectual system in the world, not bothering to get off its fat arse once in a whole week of road rocketry. I got the impression after a while it was just a button on the dash, connected to nothing at all. And that’s a good thing. It meant I was in charge."

Or if you haven't read the whole article...

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/articl ... _2,00.html

good link there, thats one of the reviews i havent yet read. You're starting to spend more time on here that me Steve!!

Reaction score
The danger of having a job where you spend a lot of time at a computer, you couldn't guess I have a planning application for 600 apartments to submit in two weeks!

I read that review before buying the Trophy, it was one of the influences, especially the last bit about a very human car in a very complicated world. Clarkson can be a bit of a nob but he's a good writer.

Reaction score
With esp on I've only noticed a difference when driving in rain and turning into a corner with a little standing water. I could feel the car take it's own action and less power went thru the front wheels, my foot never lifted and the revs remaind the same.

With esp off I think it's easier to go into tripod mode :lol:

Spinning the tyre's happens easily with the esp on or off, I've not noticed any difference in acceleration from the lights.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
with esp on, under hard accl it feels like the front of the car is gonna pull free from the rear, proper tugs away, cant be good for it. 8-[

Reaction score
raced a 2l 16v stripped out nova and the esp kicked in while leaving a round about and he left me a lil bit, soon caught up, turned the esp off for the next round about and i just pulled out and passed him, but turned it of when the roads were damp and got a lil scare exiting a corner! so when its demp it stays on but every now and again in the dry days it comes off!