G

Hi got a clio 182 cup love it but it doesnt seem 2 idle evenly!!! i heard it could be because they r highly tuned!? can any one help? iv fitted a new coil, ht leads and spark plugs, but doesnt seem any better and is really getting on my nerves.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was a bit miffed when I found myself in this position when I bought my Trophy... but soon found it was normal and I wouldn't have it any other way now. Refinement and smooth idle? Pah! :lol:

Reaction score
Getting it mapped will make the idle more smooth, my old 182 was much better after a k-tec map and my Trophy is much better after a RSTuner map, plus a slight bit torque to go with it. :D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
scott said:
Getting it mapped will make the idle more smooth, my old 182 was much better after a k-tec map and my Trophy is much better after a RSTuner map, plus a slight bit torque to go with it. :D
Useful to know... thanks! 8)

Reaction score
Is it mainly when the car is cold or all the time?

They idle fine when warm, but on start-up when cold they idle and sound very dodgy, they all do that.

Reaction score
A lumpy idle is classic for any engine in a tuned state, usually to do with having a high lift cam. The Trophy is a classic example of this. Nothing at the bottom end and then all hell breaks loose above 5000rpm. Most front wheel drive rally cars are the same. The engine hunts and exhaust burbles a bit as it's not set up to idle at 1000-800rpm and is much happier screaming at 7000rpm.

A lumpy idle is also usually accentuated by the engine being cold too. I had a MkI Golf GTi that was like a pot of nails being rattled until it was warm.

G

thanks 4 the replys, it idles lumpy wen warm not alot but noticeable, and can be heard more through the exhaust but if its normal then im not bothered and can live with it.

Reaction score
I don't remember mine idling funny when warm. Only when cold. I can be fairly sure of this too as my exhaust was very loud so i would have noticed.