Reaction score
(swear) (swear) (swear) (swear) (swear) (swear) (swear) (swear) (swear) (swear)
Fucking van drivers should all be killed, driving to work this morning on a particularly narrow and horrible bit of road (the start of the C7 to Newhaven from the Kingston-near-Lewes Roundabout) and a nasty horrible man in his red Transit decided he would drive down the middle of the road, my front wheel literally bounced off the kerb, I was nearly sick when I felt it because I've been so careful not to kerb the wheels up until now.

Anyway, does anyone know if this can be repaired? Otherwise I'm buying a new rim, I'm not actually that bothered, I'll use the old wheel as a coffee table!

Red Transit man is going to get the shock of his life tomorrow if I see him, I hope he's a good off-roader.

Attachments

• DSCN2373.JPG
    DSCN2373.JPG
    388.3 KB · Views: 1,896
  • DSCN2374.JPG
    DSCN2374.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 1,886
Reaction score
I know the feeling. Anything can be rubbed down and repainted, but not sure you'll get the shape back with a gouge like that. A repair of sorts is going to cost about £40, a new wheel about £120? How long before you're run off the road again, then decide what to spend.

Reaction score
allvehicles said:
I know the feeling. Anything can be rubbed down and repainted, but not sure you'll get the shape back with a gouge like that. A repair of sorts is going to cost about £40, a new wheel about £120? How long before you're run off the road again, then decide what to spend.

Thanks Steve, sorry to have done this to one of yours, and I've only had it 10 weeks! I'm thinking about getting a new wheel and keeping this as a spare, put it in the boot for road trips etc. I don't mind getting a new one because I won't be kerbing it again, I have to get a taxi to the kerb when parking and I won't be moving over when there's a kerb there in future, I'll take the wing mirror off instead, it's cheaper!

Would you be able to get hold of one for me?

Reaction score
Ouch! Its like loosing a finger or something lol. Good idea keeping it as a spare as i need a spare for those long journeys.

Reaction score
To avoid confusion at the dealer I'm told you need to take the wheel off and note the number on the inside. If you go to Swan Renault and ask for Ray in Parts he knows to apply the same deal as I would get. In the meantime keep an eye on Renaultsport forum, they sometimes sell alloys off there.

Reaction score
ouch!! :x i would get a new rim, if your annoyed by little things like me even if it was repaired by the best you would know it was there and see it every time!!

Reaction score
Thanks Steve, I'll do that.

Ash87 said:
ouch!! :x i would get a new rim, if your annoyed by little things like me even if it was repaired by the best you would know it was there and see it every time!!

Ouch is right. That's what i said when I got out the car and looked at it, I actually found it really hard to look at. I definitely get annoyed by things like that, there's no way anyone could repair it without it looking gash so a new rim it is. It will be useful having a spare for trips etc. as using the tyre foam rubbishes the tyre and they're £100! Better to put the spare on and have the tyre mended.

I've calmed down a bit now and am having less murderous thoughts, It's only metal at the end of the day, nothing stays new for long. Just annoyed that I had my 205 for two years with the wheels all kerbed and flaking from the previous owner and didn't damage them once. Bastards. Dammit, I'm getting angry again...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
you may need to get your track rod settings looked at - looks like a big hit that and can feck up the tracking? I think that's what their called, may be the push rods. oh feck I can't remember. someone else'll know :?

Reaction score
Probably a lost cause with the van driver, but had you ever seen him or his van? Did it have a sign on the side? I doubt i would have looked after hearing the grinding

Reaction score
The tracking will get sorted when the new wheel goes on but I doubt it's been misaligned, aluminium is quite soft compared to concrete and can get really badly damaged just rolling along a kerb.

Didn't get the van's plate, was a bit distracted by the bump and grind(!) and he was going about 45-50 over a blind cresting bend so wouldn't even have been in the mirrors if I had looked, what can be done about it anyway? it's a really shite bit of road and there was room for both of us, just with only an inch to spare so the wheel took a shafting. Cunt will probably die in a fiery crash soon anyway (One hopes).

Reaction score
Nasty - made even worse by the fact that it was not even your fault! :evil:

Wicked Wheels can do full wheel repairs, but I only know of their refurb work which is of the highest standard. I would be tempted to get a new wheel, as this one will surely never be perfectly balanced again?

Reaction score
Ouch - I feel for you :(

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new set of rims and keep the damged set dedicated for track days... :twisted:

O.

Reaction score
Condemning them to a fiery end seems a bit Middle Ages, maybe a ducking stool would be more suitable :) You'll know if the tracking was affected if the steering wheel is knocked off centre. But then again, knowing how few have a straight wheel, he may have adjusted the tracking for you!

Reaction score
Dejavu!!!

Thats exactly what mine looked like after a little encounter with a kerb.

Got a qoute from chipsaway and for £60 + VAT they did a rim rebuild and painted it perfect.

Might be worth a phone call.

Reaction score
I kerbed mine a few months ago and chipsaway did a superb job for £45 + VAT (there is absolutely no trace of the repair whatsoever).

The cost depends on the amount of damage done.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I might get a quote but when I can get a replacement rim that's perfect for £120 and use the kerbed one as a spare/coffee table I think it's a no-brainer.

Ollie - it's a nice idea but I didn't damage the whole set! just the one wheel so not really justification enough to buy a whole new set. Imagine having a set of racing slicks on your spare set of standard Trophy wheels though, that would be cool, you wouldn't have to slow for corners at all. :twisted:

StevieH and MickD - what's chipsaway's number? where are they located? Thanks.

Reaction score
You need to fill out an online form at www.chipsaway.co.uk and they'll forward your details to your local operator.

He'll then contact you and arrange a convienient time to view the damage and give you the qoute.

Had a qoute from renault Sunderland for a new wheel and they wanted £155+VAT, must admit if I could've got one for £120 I would have replaced it.

Anyway hope this helps mate.

Steve

Reaction score
StevieH said:
You need to fill out an online form at www.chipsaway.co.uk and they'll forward your details to your local operator.

He'll then contact you and arrange a convienient time to view the damage and give you the qoute.

Had a qoute from renault Sunderland for a new wheel and they wanted £155+VAT, must admit if I could've got one for £120 I would have replaced it.

Anyway hope this helps mate.

Steve

Thanks a lot for the info, I'll get on to them today, I stopped by the Parts department of Croydon Renault on the way up to London yesterday and they quoted £127 + VAT, so I should be able to get one minus the VAT if I speak to a man in the know. My mum's friend is a Renault authorised mechanic.

Reaction score
StevieH said:

Or ring the 0800 number on the site and they'll give you the local operators phone number. Why mess about filling out forms and waiting?

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
allvehicles said:
I'm thinking about getting a new wheel and keeping this as a spare, put it in the boot for road trips etc.

Remember, if you're running Exaltos they are directional and a-symmetric, so you're spare would only be good for one side of the car!!!