Reaction score
I've been told by a Renault dealer that the 2litre in these, presumably all 182s, is supposed to whistle when running...??? And no i don't mean a little rendition of 'my 'ol man's a dustman'!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
mine makes a kind of buzzing /whistle noise. They don't all sound like it as marrows doesn't. I like it :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
two different elements to this.

1. there's a little whistle that comes from the wing mirror due to the cover not being modified from LHD - on the passenger side mirror there's a temp sensor but just a hole on the drivers side - with the window down you can hear it.

2. The engine makes a whine, very similar to a small supercharger, yes this is common to all 182's, I believe the cam belt makes the sound, although it's nothing to worry about as it's how they all sound. It actually confused people who don't know what the car is into thinking it has a supercharger fitted lol.

Reaction score
Hi Stormduck,

I've had this, almost sounded like a turbo spinning up, when booting it or around the 3000 rev mark.
When I got my car serviced mentioned the whistling noise from the exhaust (CAT area).
They looked at it and said the CAT flange had cracked (back end) they also said it would cost 1400 for a new CAT including vat % fitting, of course I just laughed at them.....They did repair it with exhaust putty and a new clamp though and said it probably would only be a temp solution.
This didn't last long. Ended up buying a sport CAT from Ktec racing (its a lot smaller, loads lighter and st.steel 304)
Took 1/2hr to replace.
No whisting noise now. :D

Chris

Reaction score
Yes they all do and I think it sounds good.

I often get people turn around before I go past to see what it is!

Reaction score
They don't all sound like it as marrows doesn't. Yes - mine sounds like a V8, honest :wink:

Reaction score
Gazza said:
marrow said:
They don't all sound like it as marrows doesn't. Yes - mine sounds like a V8, honest :wink:

More 2CV....

:D

Cheeky so and so! Actually, you're probably close to the truth. Shame the engines sound "thin" compared to some other cars.

Reaction score
Cue said:
1. there's a little whistle that comes from the wing mirror due to the cover not being modified from LHD - on the passenger side mirror there's a temp sensor but just a hole on the drivers side - with the window down you can hear it.

I'm glad it isn't just mine that does this!! Can be unbearable sometimes, is there a fix??

Reaction score
Well that settles it, thanks lads, i'll sleep easier tonight, genuinely thought it was a problem, never heard a car whistle. And it was really annoying me as people would look round and friends have been asking why it whistled and what was wrong with it! I'll get used to it i'm sure, or just drive with the window up.

cue - I don't hear a whistle from the mirror, mine's definately engine related. Getting timing belt changed possible soon so i'll see if the noise alters.

chrish27 - mine does whistle all the time including idle, but when it hits about 3k rpm the engine takes on a very raspy note...is this normal? Never been in another 182 so excuse my naivity!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
D4VP-C(309) said:
Cue said:

I'm glad it isn't just mine that does this!! Can be unbearable sometimes, is there a fix??
Yes, a bit of insulation tape, foam in the hole etc anything really to cover the gap

Reaction score
chrish27 - mine does whistle all the time including idle, but when it hits about 3k rpm the engine takes on a very raspy note...is this normal? Never been in another 182 so excuse my naivity!

In all fairness, I'm new to these little hot hatches too ( waiting for the slating :) ), had the T for about 5 months now. I believe theres always some kind of whistle noise, reading through past threads (look up in the search). as for the raspy note I would say thats normal, mine does that anyway. I've since put on a MBC CDA unit which kinda takes over the noise some what.

Its like the blind leading the blind :lol:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah I can hear all sorts of noises coming from the usual places (everywhere) in my T. The usual whining noise from the passenger seat normally drowns out the squeaks, rattles and whistles though.

The latest noise is a really loud creek sometimes when I give it some above 6K revs, sounds like its coming from the glove box but im too scaired to look !

Reaction score
re: whistle from mirror, the whistling is caused by the airflow through the gap between the mirror body (red bit) and mirror plate (the black bit attached to the car (the gap that widens when u fold the mirror) On mine its defo this part as when i put my finger over the gap the whistling stops.

Still got a whistling engine..i like it.