Reaction score
Ok, who was it? I was deep in thought and only noticed the other Trophy after it had passed (There are so many normal red clios on the road) at lunch time today, I didn't have time to wave. Was it chiefbadger, donovan or the mystery Brighton Trophy?

Reaction score
Don't think it was me Steve, although I was around the area at that time. Think it was prob the one that lives around the Friar/Surrenden area along with me. GP05 something or other. Still haven't spotted you out on the road yet mate, you working in Brighton now?

Reaction score
chiefbadger said:
Don't think it was me Steve, although I was around the area at that time. Think it was prob the one that lives around the Friar/Surrenden area along with me. GP05 something or other. Still haven't spotted you out on the road yet mate, you working in Brighton now?

Oh, it could have been aodonovan though. Yeh, I work on Stanford Avenue, overlooking Blakers Park. I am looking at a flat tomorrow in Millers Road as me and the missus will be renting for a few months, 90% sure I'll be living there!

Reaction score
I'll keep my eyes peeled for you mate, I drive up Millers road every morning on my way to work. Careful of the car if you're on Millers Road, I've seen some terrible driving going on up there. It's one of those roads where everyone forgets how to drive.

Reaction score
Really funny you should say this, the road really put me off, there were trucks roaring up it in first gear making an awful din and the gradients about 1 in 4 so asking for people to roll into you when parking. I'm looking at another flat opposite the Open House pub in Springfield Road, it looks great, free parking and the pub serves Hoegaarden, result!

You know you're a petrolhead when you buy a car then find a house to suit!

Reaction score
Absolutely. I'm very lucky at the mo. Living just off Surrenden Road and the parking is amazing. I get really cross now if I even have to park on the other side of the road!

Open house is a nice little drinking hole. Just mind the speed bumps and the shock absorbers! My mate lives on Florence road, one north of Springfield and they're enough to have your splitter off. Hence me never bothering to fit mine.

I'm sure I will see you in the Open House, it's a regular haunt. The garden is great in summer and the food ain't bad either. There are some great pubs in the area though, so highly recommended.

Reaction score
chiefbadger said:
Absolutely. I'm very lucky at the mo. Living just off Surrenden Road and the parking is amazing. I get really cross now if I even have to park on the other side of the road!

Open house is a nice little drinking hole. Just mind the speed bumps and the shock absorbers! My mate lives on Florence road, one north of Springfield and they're enough to have your splitter off. Hence me never bothering to fit mine.

I'm sure I will see you in the Open House, it's a regular haunt. The garden is great in summer and the food ain't bad either. There are some great pubs in the area though, so highly recommended.

My local! Saw the flat and loved it, it's the top floor and has a roof terrace with really great views so I'm putting the deposit down tomorrow morning. We wanted to live somewhere with a bit of life so it's perfect. Those speedbumps are a real fecker but it's a three minute walk to work from the flat so the Trophy is going to be a pure toy now. Excellent. No more horrible traffic jam rush hour miles.

We'll have to meet up there in the next couple of weeks. I know Surrenden road, i drive down it to cut out the A23 traffic, then cut down Varndean Gardens.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en ... 48237&om=1

That is the most pointless dual carraigeway in the world, talk about overkill! You could have ten cars and find a place to park them all. I take it the Park View is your local then? That's a great pub.

Reaction score
Glad to hear it mate. The PV is my local, but we often make the trip down to the Open House just for a change of scenery. We were actually looking at a flat on Springfield ourselves a few months back before I found out that I'm tied in on the bloody mortgage for another 6 months.

Let me know when you're settled in buddy and we'll catch up for a beer.

Olly

Reaction score
Surrenden is a bizarre road. I've seen so many people pull out onto it from a side road amd drive up the wrong side of the road. Scary. Not that you need it now, but if you want a shortcut then stick on Surrenden all the way up, then head down Braybon - which Surrenden turns into. Just do a left then a right at the bottom which takes you along past the school. Do a left at the crossroads then right at the Co-op and you're by the black lion pub.

Reaction score
chiefbadger said:
Surrenden is a bizarre road. I've seen so many people pull out onto it from a side road amd drive up the wrong side of the road. Scary. Not that you need it now, but if you want a shortcut then stick on Surrenden all the way up, then head down Braybon - which Surrenden turns into. Just do a left then a right at the bottom which takes you along past the school. Do a left at the crossroads then right at the Co-op and you're by the black lion pub.

Thanks Olly, I was wondering what the best route was, I tried a couple but found them to be more of a hindrance (vale avenue so you have to wait just to go round the roundabout), you can pull out one side at a time at that junction too. Nice one.

Reaction score
No worries Steve, the benefits of spending far too long in Brighton. Been here all my life bar a couple of years in NZ a few years back. Some great roads over there, gravel tracks everywhere if you know where to look. Had some of the best fun I've ever had in a car over there in my clapped out 2litre Sierra automatic. It was bloody tricky to drift as the transmission was completely shot but great safe fun as there are so few cars out there and you only needed to be doing 50 kph for it to feel a load faster. (Lucky, cos the Sierra struggled to go much faster than 80k and then used to just pack up and overheat after about 30 min. Used to have to carry about 30 water bottles around at all times as couldn't afford to have it fixed. Still managed to do both Islands in it before it caught fire and we just had to dump it and run. Proper car!!!! :lol:

Reaction score
Excellent story! My best mates out in Aukland at the moment, the bastard. He's absolutely loving it. I'm hoping to move out to Oz after I finish studying and have worked a few more years. (Small point of having to convince the girlfriend too.)

Went to the Open House after work tonight, great garden (and gaarden!)