Reaction score
My car is due its tax on the 30th of June and MOT on the 7th July.
It needs new exhaust mounts, front and rears. Front tyres and i have now just found a split in one of the back boxes. If i put it in for its MOT without these things done it will fail!
Also its about time i had the Dampers referbed so this would be the perfect opportunity to remove them from the car.
Basically my spare cash needs to be used elsewhere at the moment and though i could just save a bit every month and get all the above done together, probably next year though ,:(.

So my question's are.....
1. If i declare the car SORN and dont get it MOT'd but keep my insurance on will it still be insured if stolen? (Its going to be kept in a secure garage whilst off road).
2. The car still has outstanding finance, (which i will continue to pay whilst it is out of action). If i declare it sorn will it affect the finance agreement?
3. If anyone has done this before is it best to insure the car or the garage the car is kept in, or both?

I realise the best answers would come from my insurance company and finance company but as ive just spent 30mins on hold to each of them though i would ask here till tomorrow.

Cheers
Scott

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that for insurance to be valid, a current MOT had to be on the car. I remember reading this on the small print of my insurance docs sometime back.

I dont think it will affect the finance, they would only want you to pay them the amount set.

I would garage the car if it was me, however I would be worried about what happened if the car set fire, or the garage fell in. Without insurance you would obviously be slightly stuck...

Reaction score
Apparently you can get static car insurance for such cases, dont think it cost too much either.
Going to give my insurance a bell tomorrow and see, dont want it to mess my no claims bonus up though....

Reaction score
Cheers.
Just had a quick look, laid up is basically just Fire and Theft cover for the garage its stored in.
Also just found out the finance should be fine as the car is registered in my name not the finance company name.
Hopefully it wont cost too much then i can put what would have been my insurance payment, (£40), to one side and get it back on the road sooner.
I was planning keeping it off road for between 6mths to 1yr but hopefully it will be closer to 6mths. Although there is no real need for it at the moment as i only work a 5mins away from my house so may keep it off the road for a full year and get it looking and driving mint again, plus keep the miles down, slowly moving towards 86k now so would be nice to let the rest of you catch up a bit, lol.
Now all i need is some mats for under the rear tyres to help preserve them and a cover for the car.

Also just remembered i have the exhaust from my old 182 in the shed, it only had 15k on it and looks fine, just need to get a sleeve made up to connect it as i cut it off the car.

Reaction score
had my MCoupe stored in a secure garage for almost a year, during which time the MOT and Tax ran out
I had a laid up policy through Chris Knott insurance which was very reasonable but had to be paid for the full year.
This covered the car for damage or theft whilst it was stored - didn't matter whether it was MOT'd or not.

They were interested in how secure the garage was though - and whether anyone lived/worked there.

Reaction score
Car is now in storage. Fire, theft and accidental damage in the garage its stored in.
Worked out quite well, as ive paid most of this years premiums it worked out at £1.20 next month then £1.50 the month after. Then when my renewal comes through at the end of September it will be approx £6 per month. Also keep the no claims bonus. :D
Also spent about 3hrs cleaning it inside and out before i locked it up.

micmatt313- They were not bothered about how secure the garage was, just that it had a lock on it.
Through Direct Line.

Now just need to save up £1700 to get the bits and pieces done and get it back on the road! Tyres, dampers, exhaust mounts, exhaust, brake pads, tax and MOT.
Think i almost bled it dry of petrol also before i put it in storage so if it did go it wouldnt go to far..... not even to the nearest garage.