Reaction score
Been reading the post between everybody on seting the dampers, thinking about it my self now. Will there be any long term effect on them having them stiffer, you know how rubbish the roads are in the uk. And how about the tyres, would there be more where on them.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The ride can become harsher obviously when you increase the damping.
Its therefor not ideal increasing the damping if your driving on rough roads all the time, that and the fact if will have an adverse affect on the handling, expect lots of understeer ! the suspension wont be able to cope with all the bumps and rough surfaces so the tyres wont find traction.

For smooth roads increasing the damping can make the steering feel sharper and the turn in sharper, and as there are no bumps and very rough surfaces the tryes will stay in contact with the road.

Therefore, I only tend to stiffen the dampers for A road driving or when I know I will be driving on smooth roads.

Driving with increased damping on rough roads and hitting pot holes cant be good for the dampers, but the dampers are set pretty stiff to begin with and I dont remember seeing any complaints that the dampers internals are shot.
The tyres wear shouldnt increase but you will start to play more when your trying different settings so you will probably wear them down quicker that way :wink: