Damper valves

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi

Not been on here in a long time but hope everyone is well? I am in need of a damper refurb and was reading Simon from cornering forces post about using a mountain bike pump to re-gas the damper.

Was considering giving this a try before I sent them away, but I was surprised to see I dont have any valve. Can only assume BG removed them, or its not actually at the bottom of the damper... (and I was looking in the wrong place)

IMG_20150410_073403.jpg

Anyone else's look like this?

Are there a set of cup dampers doing the rounds? That I could borrow or buy off someone, while I get the refurb done?

Cheers

Graham

Reaction score
Mine look this this after my latest refurb from BG, they say they use their own custom double seal valve, so I can only presume that that's a cover designed to seal the valve in, might be worth double checking with BG but I suspect if you remove it the actual valve will be located behind it.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of mine before the refurb at a cost of £900 from BG and a picture of the ones currently on the car.

This is a unit you don't want to be messing about with unless you A) have the tools B) have a spare set & C) have an understanding about how they work.

I don't have a picture of mine after then Refurb but i know they are different to the two pictures below.

Before BG Refurb -

SpareSachs13.jpg

Sachs On The Car Just Now -

2lnu887.jpg

Reaction score
Mine are exactly the same. They were refurbed 2 year ago by BG. Not sure what it looks like with the screw removed. Would be good to know for future reference.

Reaction score
Mine are somewhat different to those, refurbed about 4 weeks ago at BG, cap is flatter and has a torx bit where the nut is in those pics

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for the replies. I took mine off over the weekend and put on some new 182 cup ones. The bolts holding the shock hub were a nightmare on one side I cracked two sockets before I had to go and b impact socket.

The cup ones are much softer than I was expecting when you push on them when they are off the car.

atl

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I took mine off over the weekend and put on some new 182 cup ones. The bolts holding the shock hub were a nightmare on one side I cracked two sockets before I had to go and b impact socket.

The cup ones are much softer than I was expecting when you push on them when they are off the car.

Are the bolts not splined? You undo the nut side then push the bolts out i think.