Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi guys,

Am in the process of removing my dampers and I cant get the top nut to budge at all. Sprayed it with WD40 but still no luck. If I was to put the jack under the disc with the car on axle stands would this take some of the pressure off the nut making it easier to undo? Or should I just be patient and let the WD40 do its work over night?

Have been following this guide so far

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthre ... suspension

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Had the same problem - take it to a friendly garage and get them to use the air gun socket on it otherwise you risk buggering it all up - it takes literally 20 seconds of their time. The second nut (which holds the spring retainer) came undone easily on mine. Don't forget to re-tighten a bit before you drive back from the garage and don't forget to use spring compressors before you release the second nut !!!!

Don'reckon your jacking plan will make the slightest difference - nor the WD which I also tried :-(. The top nut forms part of the top rubber assy also so don't be tempted to use stillsons to hold the outer area of the mounts - also beware snapping the allen key in the strut by using excessive force and anger :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for the reply. Nice to know its a common problem. I know a couple of people with workshops so I may be in luck if someone will let me borrow one tomorrow.

its amazing how far you can bend an allen key :shock:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
not sure how it will be any better with an airgun to be honest, as surely it will just turn on the spring??

Well am going to try in a bit

Reaction score
Understand your logic - all I can say is it was the only way mine came off - instantly. I can't think of any other way if it doesn't work though (I tried 2 days soaking with penetrating oil too!). Hope you get a result.