Reaction score
Evening, my dampers were serviced and re-gased in June last year on 22,000 miles. I have now done 28,000.
Recently i have been noticing that when i go over speed bumps or any tiny pot-hole I am getting a knocking sound when the suspension compresses on the left hand side front.
I have just had a look under the arch and noticed that there is very thin, almost see through oil coming from the tiny hole in the cup that the springs sits in and dribbling down.
I am just wondering could it be something so simple as an oil seal gone??? If so would it be fine to let someone like Northwest Perfromance sort it out??

Thank you in advance Elliott.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well that can only be coming from where the rod goes into the main part of the damper under the gaitor. I suspect it will need a refill and redynoed ie a refurb, I'd be on the phone to Ben at bg tomorrow.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Well that can only be coming from where the rod goes into the main part of the damper under the gaitor. I suspect it will need a refill and redynoed ie a refurb, I'd be on the phone to Ben at bg tomorrow.

Yes thats where i think it will be coming from. From underneath the black plastic cover on the shocker (sorry about my terminology, i havent clue whats what on a car haha).

But yes i shall be ringing him definatly does he have a direct number or is it just a matter of contacting BG and asking for him??

Elliott.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Who did you speak to when they went in originally? Personally I wouldn't be too happy (when am I ever) that they had only lasted a year and 6k but I would just explain the situation are what he says and go from there I'm sure he will be as surprised as you that they “seem” to have gone already.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Who did you speak to when they went in originally? Personally I wouldn't be too happy (when am I ever) that they had only lasted a year and 6k but I would just explain the situation are what he says and go from there I'm sure he will be as surprised as you that they “seem” to have gone already.

I bought the car in December and the previous owner told me he had them serviced/re-gassed etc with the receipt to prove. The car was from 'Son of solo' aka Andrew who is a well respected member on here. BG motorsport is a very long drive for me to be told its only the seal...would you take it into somewhere local such as Northwest perfromance and have them look at first or just go to BG and find out off them.

Appreciate the help tho Hoolio.

Elliott

Reaction score
Trophy No.
ah right. Even if its a 5p rubber seal it will still need to be taken to bits regased and oiled and then tested, just see what they say first as I have no idea about anyone else tbh.

Reaction score
Give the unit a clean first - then check to see if there is any further evidence of oil leaking; it's just possible it could be from elsewhere .... Also if it's lost it's oil (enough to make it clonk over bumps sounds like it would be fairly terminal) then you will be able to push the car down by hand on that side which will confirm it needs to see the doctor! ( compare it to the other, good, side).

Reaction score
Spoke to Ben this morning, he said it shouldn't of gone again!! He has asked me to send it to him so he can have a look at it. If its something so simple as the oil seal he will do it free of charge!!

Lets hope its just the oil seal :lol:

Cheers for the help lads ill keep you posted.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
moono16v said:
Spoke to Ben this morning, he said it shouldn't of gone again!! He has asked me to send it to him so he can have a look at it. If its something so simple as the oil seal he will do it free of charge!!

Lets hope its just the oil seal :lol:

That's what I was hoping he'd say :)

Reaction score
Got round to booking it in today, for the 25th of this month. Will post up the findings....

Reaction score
Elliot
Sorry to hear this...
when the dampers were re-furbed it was confirmed that it was the passenger side that had failed significantly more than the drivers side but i think it was the gas rather than the oil that had leaked, neither myself or the garage spotted any oil on the dampers or spring holders (and i used to check them every week)
Although it is quite obivous when they fail, when i drove it to the garage that handled the removal / refit it wouldnt hold a straight line was very bouncy, if you open the door and push at the top of the A pillar towards the roof (rather than pressing on the wing) there will be a alot of movement inside the arch if they have gone.
Keep us informed.

Reaction score
son of solo said:
if you open the door and push at the top of the A pillar towards the roof (rather than pressing on the wing) there will be a alot of movement inside the arch if they have gone.

I have done this and yes there is some bounce in the passenger side....but i don't know if its just me who is making myself believe there is!!!

We'll soon see, i'll keep you updated.

Cheers Elliott.

Reaction score
FIXED!!!! :D Took my Trophy down to Ben at BG Motorsport today to have the nearside damper looked at. As soon as he opened the door and gave it a 'rocking' he said definatly some play in it. It took him 2 hours to phone me to say its fixed. He said that it was his their fault it was leaking oil due to how it was re-assembled the first time it was re-furbed. Apparently when they had re-assembled it they one of the O rings had been pinched and wasnt sitting right and had slowly worked loose to release the oil. He says both are now perfect and in his words it drives "very tight" with a slight grin on his face.

Reaction score
Glad it's ok now :)

Good job you didn't send them to him from far away (like SW France for example) only to have them returned to you with the problem !! ....

No QA there I assume?

Reaction score
eljeffo64 said:
Good job you didn't send them to him from far away (like SW France for example) only to have them returned to you with the problem !! ...

They feel great now...i can now stop doing 3mph over the thousands of speed bumps near me and pick it up to 5mph :lol:

How do you mean, have them sent back?? Are you talking form your experience???

Reaction score
N0 - thankfully; but I'm in SW France so if I'd posted them over for a refurb and then got them back and they were faulty it would be a massive pita to say the least! I'll be doing mine over the winter this year so have to hope that BG (or who ever)have the time to not rush the re-assembly .....