Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was cleaning my inside of my wheels and noticed that the drivers side wheel was covered in grease, when i checked the CV Boot i noticed that the clip holding the rubber boot had broken, so i have temporarily put a cable tie around it for now.

But i was wondering what people recommended in doing now, do i.....

1. Get a new CV Boot, if so how much am i looking at?
2. Is it easy to replace myself or is it a garage job?
3. Is just getting a new clip satisfactory? as there seemed to be a lot of grease which had come out.

Thanks,

Chris

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi Chris,

This happened to me a while back. It made a complete mess of my wheel and wheel brush. You don't need a new Boot unless it's torn or damaged, it's most likely just the clip which needs replacing. I went to Renault for one and they give me a jubilee clip, it's far more secure than the original CV Boot clip. They also sell packets of CV Boot grease which contains the right amount of grease to refill the boot again, have a good go at cleaning all the old stuff out first, just squirt it in and fit the clip, job done.

It didn't cost me alot for the grease and clip, it was around £10/£15 i think?

Last edited:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
^^ Yep, they are similar to the original ones but look more secure, I bought a CV Clip tool because I thought Renault would supply me with this type but the jubilee clips are what they give me. The CV Clip tool is only £10 or so, you can probably get them off e-bay, the one I have is made by Sealey.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=Sealey+CV+Clip+

Edit: Like this ^^^

Reaction score
I'm also having this same problem, it failed the MOT as the clip had broken and the boot popped off, i regreased the CV joint and used one of the clips carbon chaos has put a link too and a few days later it just pinged off covering everything i spent hours cleaning in grease....again! I've got some more clips and a couple of other bits to do tonight so hopefully this one will hold out a bit longer, i have a feeling i didnt crush it down hard enough!

Reaction score
You need to get them as tight as possible with your hands and make sure the teeth are fully in before you start to squeeze them up

other wise as soon as it goes on full lock the boot will slip off the joint,also make sure no traces of grease are on the joint where the boot goes.

Reaction score
Just did mine, will see how this one holds out if not it'll be a huge jubilee clip! Replaced the tie rod ends both sides while I was down there as they had a lot of play!

Reaction score
Unless you take driveshaft off and use closed crimp on clips don't bother with any of the ones that open up and allow you to fit them in suttu. they're w**k.

Just use a proper jubilee clip. Mine went on track, cable tied to get home, repacked with grease and fitted a jubilee. Not had any problems in 3+ years. Wel except when other side went and that got a jubilee fitted

Reaction score
Do it Ben, haha. Mine went shortly after the other side

I was thinking of this as well, went out and checked, seemed that renault have already done it for the previous owner but charged them for a new cv boot in the service history, cheeky cheeky!