Reaction score
ordered a new cold air feed pipe and will be doing myself a custom cold air feed probably this weekend coming.

here is the simota induction kit I am doing it for...

100_1587.jpg

question is, do I want the end of the air feed to tatally engulf the blue filter, or do i want to glue or bond the air feed to the black inside of the filter surround before the blue filter and just have it stopping before the filter so that cold air just flows onto the filter??? is it baad to totally engulf the filter?

or as I am getting a custom remap in a couple of weeks does it not matter due to them mapping my car to best suit the mods....so neither would be a problem.

surely totally engulfing the blue filter would give better cold air.

advice and help please.

Reaction score
Open IK's are never good, the hot air in the engine bay will eventually 'win' over the fresh charge coming in through the feed. Whatever you do, get the map done after the set-up as any extra air available is a waste without an ECU program that can take advantage of it. Get a nice unrestrictive carbon air box with foil lining and as direct a feed as possible to it and then on to the manifold, removing a headlight would be the best approach but maybe a bit extreme.

Reaction score
cheers steve, i see removing a headlight as far too drastic, and don't want to remove a fog light either.

I was thinking of ripping the standard air feed out. Cutting one end of the new air feed at a 45 degree angle (for a greater surface area to collect more cold air) and cable tie it, facing down, behind the splitter somewhere (as lots of cold air obviously goes under the car) and then feeding it up through where the standard air feed was and onto the new air filter, engulfing it, so minimal cold air is lost.

and yes it would be before the remap.

Reaction score
Without getting too engulfed in fluid dynamics, the CSA will only be as good as the minimum CSA through the hose, so a larger opening will mean a slowing of the air flow at the end of it's journey but not an increase in airflow, of course if you design it so the air leaves the hose with as little turbulence as possible, like with a Venturi tunnel, it will improve the overall airflow as there will be less resistance from the high pressure region at the engine bay opening, a 45 degree slash cut may do this. Oh, the beauty of supercharging where tiny improvements in induction flow are irrelevant!

Reaction score
I've just ordered a cold air feed, was just gonna route it same as the standard one, straight to the air box with my itg in place.

Steve, I dont mean to sound stupid but could you write that in idiot's terms for me, I got a bit lost? :(

Is it not good to have a large diameter pipe for feeding cold air?

Reaction score
Matt X2C said:
ordered a new cold air feed pipe and will be doing myself a custom cold air feed probably this weekend coming.

here is the simota induction kit I am doing it for...

100_1587.jpg

question is, do I want the end of the air feed to tatally engulf the blue filter, or do i want to glue or bond the air feed to the black inside of the filter surround before the blue filter and just have it stopping before the filter so that cold air just flows onto the filter??? is it baad to totally engulf the filter?

or as I am getting a custom remap in a couple of weeks does it not matter due to them mapping my car to best suit the mods....so neither would be a problem.

surely totally engulfing the blue filter would give better cold air.

advice and help please.

Thought you were adding an alien piece of kit from War of the Worlds :lol:

Reaction score
DaveTrophy said:
bit lost? :(

Is it not good to have a large diameter pipe for feeding cold air?

Larger diameter = lower pressure = lower volume of cold air.

(I think)

Reaction score
No no no, nothing that complicated, the larger diameter the better, but I was just saying it's only as good as the narrowest part of the pipe, it won't make any difference having a 70cm2 cross sectional area opening at the filter end by having a mitered cut if the CSA of the pipe is only 50cm2. It's the same for a closed induction system, you can have a Hill Power bend the size of a dustbin, but the airflow is only going to be as good as the induction manifold inlet diameter will allow.

It all gets far more complicated than this, get BenR to explain as I'm a layman when it comes to these things, but in essence, you can really upset things by having too much pressure in the manifold if it's not designed for it. In a naturally aspirated engine, the induction stroke of the pistons draws the air in from the manifold, it's all precisely balanced and just like putting a straight through exhaust on without tuning, torque (and therefore power) and engine life might actually suffer. A lean mix burns very hot and this isn't good for engine wear.