Reaction score
Afternoon chaps,

After taking the motor out for a spin this afternoon, i noticed after, a squeaking noise coming from what sounds like the steering rack etc... leading down to the wheels. Almost like the same creaking noise as when a bed goes.

I then stopped, and turned the wheel when i was stationary, and the same thing occurred.

I've seen a few threads about damper issues etc... but to be honest,i'm not very clued up, and was wondering if it could be something else.

Any help would be great,as I want to sort this ASAP.

I only have 20,000 miles on the clock, so personally i dont think its the dampers...but who knows!

Cheers, Matt

Reaction score
yeah I had exactly the same thing. ball joint went on OSF. Requires a new lower arm assembly as Renault don't sell the ball joint on its own...

SPV

Reaction score
I wouldn't really worry about squeaks and creaks it is a Renault. Wait till its really obvious and constant and then get it fixed. I had this same noise following my first track session and it has since gone away...

Reaction score
SPV said:
I wouldn't really worry about squeaks and creaks it is a Renault. Wait till its really obvious and constant and then get it fixed. I had this same noise following my first track session and it has since gone away...

Well i could feel the vibration in the ball joint when i moved steering wheel on my car. If you can also feel it then definitley dont leave it. it won't go away and will only get worse.

Reaction score
Ossie87 said:
Well i could feel the vibration in the ball joint when i moved steering wheel on my car. If you can also feel it then definitley dont leave it. it won't go away and will only get worse.

Am I correct to assume that you lifted the car off the ground and got someone else to rotate the wheel for you, whilst feeling the joint? Must sound like a somewhat silly question perhaps but just want to know whether you could actually detect it through the steering?

Mine sounds like a spring changing in tension when I turn the wheels - only detectable when maneuvering.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
^^^ what is this referring to? problem areas reno are aware of?

also, anyone know of any upgrades to the ball joint area? given they don't see much past 40k i should expect there's better options than reno ones...

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
Ossie87 said:

Am I correct to assume that you lifted the car off the ground and got someone else to rotate the wheel for you, whilst feeling the joint? Must sound like a somewhat silly question perhaps but just want to know whether you could actually detect it through the steering?

Mine sounds like a spring changing in tension when I turn the wheels - only detectable when maneuvering.

No need to lift it off the ground, I just reached around underneath while my dad wiggled the wheel for me. I began feeling around underneath on all the bushes and could feel it distinctly from the ball joint.