Reaction score
Just had the front dampers back from BG motorsports, and replaced the rear dampers and top mounts at the same time. Imagine my surprise to hear creaking still coming from the front suspension somewhere [-X

I've done some digging around on here and people suggest replacing the ball joints at the same time, could this be related to the creaking or could it be something else?

Reaction score
A worn ball joint definitely gives a creaking noise. It did on mine. If the creaking is heard when car is stationary and turning the wheel, then get your hand on the ball joint and ask someone else to turn the wheel. You should be able to feel if it is creaking.

Reaction score
Yep noticed it this morning creaking when stationary when i turn the wheel! Better get it back into the garage then :roll:

Reaction score
Rick C196 said:
Ossie87 said:
How come you're still only a "Forum Member" and not a "Trophy Owner"?

No idea? :?

Have you posted in the Trophy owners register?

If so, send a PM to a moderator saying which Trophy it is you own and they should sort you out. Not that it makes much difference for you.

Reaction score
I've just had the ball joints replaced as well and no sooner have I driven it out of the garage that I can tell the suspension is still creaking :(

I had them check the track rod ends and apparently they look fine.

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
My old fiesta used to creak over speed humps till i got the anti roll bar bushes replaced. My mechanic friend told me to change them after taking him out to listen to the noise. I'm doing the same job as you've just done but i've noticed my arb bushes are cracked so i've bought some poly ones to replace them, but standard ones are very cheap i do believe and seem to be very easy to replace.

As an idea also, remove one of the front wheels and move the hub up and down - the lower wishbone bushes will be in use then and you can eliminate those easily.

Reaction score
Its going back in the garage tomorrow for another nosey :^o

The creaking now is only at very low (< 5mph) speeds while turning the wheel and manouvering.

Must be one of the bushes somewhere?

Reaction score
stormduck said:
My old fiesta used to creak over speed humps till i got the anti roll bar bushes replaced. My mechanic friend told me to change them after taking him out to listen to the noise. I'm doing the same job as you've just done but i've noticed my arb bushes are cracked so i've bought some poly ones to replace them, but standard ones are very cheap i do believe and seem to be very easy to replace.

As an idea also, remove one of the front wheels and move the hub up and down - the lower wishbone bushes will be in use then and you can eliminate those easily.

ive heard they are a pig of a job to do?

Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't posted on here before but thought I would try and help as it sounds very similar to the noise I had on my 172 cup.

I had a creaking noise (almost squeaking noise) at slow speeds and also as you went over small bumps in the road. I eventually found it to be caused by worn anti roll bar bushes.

Reaction score
Mine isn't so much when going over speed bumps, its mostly from steering and manouvering and its definitely coming from the front

Reaction score
Yep mine did not creak over speed bumps, it was more like for example travelling at low speeds less than 10mph on a block paved car park.

I can also add that as the same as you I straight away thought it would be the ball joints. I had them checked and they were fine. That led me to investigate further and I eventually found cracks in the anti roll bar bushes.

Reaction score
rick just a note, you've replaced the top mounts for new standard ones?

If so then surely it's normal? Mine creaks and knocks when manouvering, i think they all do with the standard top mounts. I would imagine fresh rubber would creak more than older bedded in rubber too.

Reaction score
stormduck said:
rick just a note, you've replaced the top mounts for new standard ones?

If so then surely it's normal? Mine creaks and knocks when manouvering, i think they all do with the standard top mounts. I would imagine fresh rubber would creak more than older bedded in rubber too.

Do they :shock:

Reaction score
stormduck said:
Is that sarcasm young man!?

No I'm being serious its going in the shop tomorrow and if they all creak a little when manoeuvring then I may be barking up the wrong tree!

Reaction score
lol, yeah mate they all do it. Have a search on the forum for old posts. Mine does it at slow speeds when turning near to full lock and makes a nice clunk noise for good measure, sometimes repetitive clunking. It doesn't do it under light turning, but when manouvering into car park spaces and what not it'll have a good grumble!

Apologies for not mentioning sooner but it's kind of common knowledge to T owners on here so I guess we all assumed you knew. Apparently Renault tried bodging this 'fault' by elongating the holes in the turret...but it's not an issue to me, i just don't go near full lock!

Reaction score
Oh FFS there goes £140 on changing perfectly good ball joints #-o

I'll just get them to fit my camber bolts instead then

Reaction score
well don't take my word for it, have a trawl through old posts to see if someone explains better or has experienced more similar issues to yours, just to be sure.

At least they'll be good for 6 years, the rubber couldn't have been particularly fresh, i know mine weren't after 6 years of use. And who knows what the internals were like.

Just a hint, once the camber bolts are fitted, coat them in some kind of grease of something water repellant...mine have gone nastily rusty in a matter of months compared to the standard bolts that are fine.