Reaction score
Dear All,

After getting back from South Wales today, I would like to ask: what is the best technique for carrying speed into and out of a corner in a Trophy?

I know all corners are different: different gears required, different braking points, different throttle pressure etc, but is there a general means of getting the most out of the Trophy?

I ask because I felt totally unsure driving in the Black Mountains. Perhaps it's a lack of confidence in myself as a driver, but I just felt too tentative approaching and driving round most corners.

Regards,

Reaction score
Basic rules are brake in a straight line (part of the JYS philosophy), try to get into correct gear before turning in, and as much as possible follow line of maximum visibility. Smoothness tends to be king.

Ajr

Reaction score
Cornering speed is not relative to point a-b speed. Slow in fast out. Smooth.

Although i found sometimes the trophy responded better to being chucked in with some vigour on the sharper corners.

Reaction score
Have you had the steering geometry checked lately?

I've found with the Trophy (and other performance cars I've driven) having a good geo, i.e wheels pointing in the correct directions, makes a massive difference. When set correctly It just feels right and inspires confidence when cornering.

Reaction score
It all depends on the corner obviousely, but the main things are brake in a staright line as said, turn in and keep steering smooth and dont put the power on until your gonna keep it on (no playing with the power halfway round a corner, unsettles the car)-----Jackie stewart taught me that :D the fastest way (and usually the safest way)is the smoothest way

Reaction score
It is very difficult to learn how to exploit a car on the road - there are various motorsport schools which are very helpful - they video you and offer advice. The ones I know of are at Curborough, Prescott and Gurston.

Reaction score
BoroGTI said:
It all depends on the corner obviously, but the main things are brake in a staright line as said, turn in and keep steering smooth and dont put the power on until your gonna keep it on (no playing with the power halfway round a corner, unsettles the car)-----Jackie stewart taught me that :D the fastest way (and usually the safest way)is the smoothest way

That was on Top Gear when james may was going round a track with him, i think he said it like dont take your foot off the brake until you know that you will not need to press it again.

Reaction score
Sam_K said:
That was on Top Gear when james may was going round a track with him, i think he said it like dont take your foot off the brake until you know that you will not need to press it again.

It is don't put your foot on the accelerate until you know you don't have to take it back off :wink:
As others have said try some instruction or an airfield day. Nothing to hit & plenty of space to try different approaches.

Reaction score
^Easy enough to say once you've done loads of them.
Nothing wrong with doing something like Car Limits at North Weald airfield or the chap Ed Moore who does something similar on the airfields down in WIltshire.
Cornering at and and past the limits of the Trophy in wide open spaces provides a taster for seeing whether it's your cup or tea or not.

Reaction score
SpaceMonkey said:
Sam_K said:

It is don't put your foot on the accelerate until you know you don't have to take it back off :wink:
As others have said try some instruction or an airfield day. Nothing to hit & plenty of space to try different approaches.
Ye thats right, isen't that what i said? :)

Reaction score
[quote="duffer987
Nothing wrong with doing something like Car Limits at North Weald airfield or the chap Ed Moore who does something similar on the airfields down in WIltshire.
quote]

Whats car limits at North Weald?

Reaction score
Have a look @ Hondas-on-track.com :wink:
You can book North Weald days through them ALOT cheaper than anywhere else.
And yes believe it or not plenty of different cars run with them.
I've done it 3 times with them now & can not fault it, learnt plenty about the 182 too.
Steve is right it is hard on tyres, but mine was fine paint wise.

Reaction score
Went and did a day at Car Limits back in March was an excellent day and came alway feeling I had learnt alot about my driving style and my car, I would recommend anyone to do a day there with Andy Walsh, I for one would go back again.

Also we did an Airfield day at Kemble click here took the Trophy and the Honda there for the day had great fun testing out both cars.

I live in South Wales and use the mountain roads a lot but its far better to test your car and your own ablitiy on an Airfield day then on the Black Mountains for a start its alot safer and there are no sheep, wild horse and other road users to worry about..