Reaction score
bearne1 said:
After upgrading brakes with DS2500's, HC discs and braided lines I've noticed some
major 'corkscrewing' when braking hard. Car actually becomes dangerous and is unpredictable. Again, hoping damper refurb sorts this!

Mine done this after new brakes. Turned out the pad was fitted wrong and was sticking on the disc.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
eljeffo64 said:
BTW - who is EVO's Harry T??

One of the reasons the T gets such good press from EVO magazine (apart from it being a fantastic little car in it's own right) is that Harry Metcalf(?) EVO contributor/writer has one.

Reaction score
BenG said:
The rears are just replaced when they pack in, not sure on the exact price but they are around £300 for the pair.

quote]

I can get them for £212 inc vat!! Thats I can get them not I can sell them for that

They are normal £112.75 each plus vat

Reaction score
Trophy No.
eljeffo64 said:
Of that I'm well aware; Harry T is obviously Harry M's forum nom de plume ;-)

I did wonder :) have to admit I didn't pick up on the "T" instead of the M

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Had some major corkscrewing on the way home tonight but was braking very hard at quite a speed. Road surface not the best I must say where it happened.

Front dampers seem very slolid and rears seem ok after push down test. Anything else likely cause or just a mixture of very heavy braking and poor road surface?

Reaction score
I gotta say, I've known the seals on my passenger side have leaked as it's got more bounce than a sprung matteress, and a refurb is next on my list after getting the de-phasser pulley done next wk.

However other than the car skipping across the road abit on a bumpy corner ive not had any corkscrewing or any other symptoms thats been described from failed dampers. Other than the damper just bouncing off bumps I've mot noticed any difference in the handling although I'm wondering if they've needed a refurb since I've owned it as it had done 55k wen I took ownership.

Wen I get them done I'll report any noticeable difference.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Adam Trophy 37 said:
I gotta say, I've known the seals on my passenger side have leaked as it's got more bounce than a sprung matteress, and a refurb is next on my list after getting the de-phasser pulley done next wk.

However other than the car skipping across the road abit on a bumpy corner ive not had any corkscrewing or any other symptoms thats been described from failed dampers. Other than the damper just bouncing off bumps I've mot noticed any difference in the handling although I'm wondering if they've needed a refurb since I've owned it as it had done 55k wen I took ownership.

Hi,

Had dampers refurbed in August 2009 at BG Motorsport so should be no issues there (I hope!!)

The Trophy does seem to wander a lot I must say - very harsh on uneven road surfaces I guess. Had wheels off tonight to clean arches and no damage to any of the springs and dampers do not appear to be leaking at all. Rear shocks rather on the rusty side mind you!

Thanks

Daniel

Reaction score
bearne1 said:
Adam Trophy 37 said:

Hi,

Had dampers refurbed in August 2009 at BG Motorsport so should be no issues there (I hope!!)

The Trophy does seem to wander a lot I must say - very harsh on uneven road surfaces I guess. Had wheels off tonight to clean arches and no damage to any of the springs and dampers do not appear to be leaking at all. Rear shocks rather on the rusty side mind you!

Thanks

Daniel

This seems to be coming up quite often. After having my dampers refurbed a few months back, the handling on 399 is pretty appalling to say the least. Its got to the point where I've completely lost confidence in it, even over familiar roads I drive on every day. The car feels very unstable and crashy over uneven surfaces.

Just this evening on the way home from work, I took a corner with a small recessed manhole cover half way round it, something you wouldn't even notice normally, but after going over it the back end seemed to step away and the whole car felt very wobbly.

Would shot rear dampers be causing this?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah failed rear dampers would certainly cause the back end to step away and cause the car to become unbalanced.

I also have a slight handling problem at the moment but im pretty sure its a geometry issue, when I turn right the cars turn in respons and handling is spot on but when i turn left nothing happens for a second so i turn the wheel a bit further and then it seems to corner fine, wierd?

Reaction score
Alot of ppl seem to get there dampers refurbed by BG and say the same thing that the handling is shot! I'm not saying it's BG's fault at all it's just there is a pattern forming some reason, I doubt it would be the rears causing it if it was driving okay before the refurb.

Maybe it's down to the damper stiffness setting they might have been adjusted wen refurbed or it could be that now there at the correct pressure so it is alot stiffer than pre refurb wen pressure could have been lost due to leakage.

It is a known fact that with these dampers the faster u go over bumps the less u feel them and I can definitely say that is true in practice. So if it crashes over a bump below 40 I wouldnt worry to much if you try it at 65 you proberbly be surprised how well it absorbs it, I know I have been.

I'm assuming you've had the geometry done by someone who knows wot there doin on a decent 4 wheel laser machine, as that essential after any suspension work.

I must say I'm a little concerned tho that although I know my dampers are due so tlc, that wen I get done that the handling will be shot !

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Its a good idea to replace the rear dampers at the same time as having the front dampers serviced that way you can ensure any handling problems are not to do with the dampers and the car should be nicely balanced. Maybe the rear dampers are infact due to be replaced but you now notice it more after the service because it would create a greater difference between the fronts and rears in the way that they work together.

Reaction score
That certainly sounds phesible might think about budgeting for new rears aswell then.

I did ask Ben at BG if it would be nessisary to replace the rears he said

"We only tend to re- build the fronts, the rears are more economical to replace for new if you suspect they have a problem. Normally on this type of car (Small, front engine, front drive.) the rears don’t pose too much of an issue."

Reaction score
Surely it is common sense to renew the rear suspension at the same time as having a front rebuild!!

Otherwise you will seriously changing the characteristics of the car; fresh/hard damper on the front vs. soft. buggered ones on the rear #-o

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Had a play with the brakes on the way home tonight and definate 'issue' and I can only assume it is from the rear. Must either be worn shocks or issue with the rear brakes.

Can the rear dampers look ok but just weaken over time?