G

Hi Guys,

Looking for some help...

Last night I was driving my T and when changing gears it sounded like I was slipping the clutch (when I wasn’t) so I put it into neutral and the car revs didn’t drop they stayed at 2000rpm. I pulled into my drive way and it was still revving constantly at around 2000rpm!

I changed, and then went back out to my T to see what was wrong. Starting it up again and it kept revving at 2000rpm. I started driving it and the little light came on the dash that looks like a rectangle with a heartbeat dash line in it! Haha (best way of describing it) I believe this is either the heating plugs or water in the fuel? The car then became limp and lost most of its power. I checked the oil levels and they were low so I topped it up!

Someone says I should try resetting the ECU! But I don’t know how to do this properly and don’t want to wreck anything!

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers
Cammy!

Reaction score
Difficult to tell but sounds like MAF/stepper motor fault in the fuelling - needs a diagnostic plug in imo.

Reaction score
Before you waste any serious money, check water temp sender, that often gives those symtoms.
Have you looked at temp gauge if that all over place its defo.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
pete g said:
Before you waste any serious money, check water temp sender, that often gives those symtoms.
Have you looked at temp gauge if that all over place its defo.

Pete is spot on with this, I had this replaced twice due to dodgy wiring of temp sensor. Car is going into a limp home mode hence the higher idle

Reaction score
When its the temperature sensor it revs high because it thinks the engine is stone cold. It could overheat too as the fan won't cut in in traffic.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just a quick one , the op says he thinks the warning light relates to a particular problem, it doesn't its just an advisory. Finally got to the bottom of a problem that I've had since new and has happened four or five times now. This light would appear and the car would crank but not start, it wass diagnosed as a bunch of things but appears that it was a loose connection to one of the relays in the fuse box.