Reaction score
My car has always struggled to start on the first go in cold weather.
Usually one turn of the key fires then dies, second turn is an instant startup.
I have never worried much about it, I just assumed that it was some kind of fuel pressure / priming sort of thing going on.
The only other problem, when cold, is the car does not run well for the first minute or 2. If I don't have time to warm the car up for a couple of minutes then driving up the hill away from our house sounds and feels very stuttery and tricky on light throttle, almost as if not all cylinders are firing.

Just this morning the car took 4 attempts to start, It has never been this bad before and I have the feeling that whatever the problem is, it might be about to get worse.
Tick over is always fine.

When the car is warm the engine is great, in fact it feels ballistic at the moment, probably just the crisp cold air.

Any body else had this starting problem, I feel like maybe it is a fuel (always shells finest) or air problem but wouldn't know where to start. Not sure the fuel filter has ever been changed.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Gerry
P.S Car runs an orb soft exhaust, maxogen induction kit and group N ecu. (Thinking of getting a proper map from ktec soon.)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The not starting first time issue is the fuel pressure regulator -very common and not really a problem.

The cold starts are a problem with all 1*2s. They run like a bag of spanners for the first few miles. I wouldn't worry.

Reaction score
Mine rarely starts first time either, even after it was serviced just a few weeks ago. Might also have a battery on its way out, as I believe that this is still the one that came with the car - any idea how long an original battery will last?. Also runs a little roughly for the first few minutes too, but after that it goes like a train

Reaction score
With regular use 4 to 6 is about right, cold weather usually finishes them off so beware this winter!

Reaction score
I sometimes got this too. So I changed the way I start the car. I turn the key to when all the lights are swiched on on the dash, wait a few seconds, ie put my seat belt on, then start the car. I guess this pause "primes" car for starting, you can hear things buzzing and huming (possibly the fuel pump). In doing this the car has started first time without fail, even on cold days.

Reaction score
Jonc said:
I sometimes got this too. So I changed the way I start the car. I turn the key to when all the lights are swiched on on the dash, wait a few seconds, ie put my seat belt on, then start the car. I guess this pause "primes" car for starting, you can hear things buzzing and huming (possibly the fuel pump). In doing this the car has started first time without fail, even on cold days.

Agree with this. Also my battery went last year so they are on their way out. More money to spend.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

I am away for a week and will see how it goes when I get home.

Reaction score
Mine did this first winter I had it, new plugs & its never done it again. Don't care that they are iridium the best work from them is done by 20k & only cost £38, not the 5years or 50 odd K Renault or the manufacturers say they last. Short journeys do them in much quicker.

Reaction score
Ok I'm sure this is a problem that I need to solve.
Can't be far away from not starting at all.
I think that I had new plugs a couple of years ago, I will need to check receipts.
Does anyone have any advice on where the fuel pressure regulator is and how to change it. Also why would this only be a problem in the cold.

Thanks again
Gerry