Reaction score
Hi, Im new so go easy on me please :)

I'm 17, and have a 05 1.2 clio...Completely standard

I have just had it valued at £5000 ish..

Now ive had a look around for a 182, with around 50k on the clock and there in the region of £6000, so I could afford one

Confused.com gave me £7800 as insurance, which is very steep..

So, I have 2 options, find a cheaper insurer, under 2k would be nice

Or, I change the physical features on my clio, into a 182, so basically, at first, im looking to do rims, front, rear and side bodykit, then onto exhausts and inside later on..

Does this work, does it look the same? The clio i have at the moment is top of the range for the 05 clio's, so its all colour coded and does look quite nice..

But would just putting on 182 bodykit and wheels make it look the same? or would it still be a bit skinny, like it has been tucked in at the bottom?

Any advice welcome

Tommy

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Save your money and dont ruin your 1.2 clio. Then you will be able to afford a 182 sooner!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
you'd need to replace the entire running system, suspension, interior, engine..... not worth it at all mate. You'd need to spend £000's and wouldn't get that investment back come trade in time.

Getting cheaper insurance would be a hell of a lot easier, plus you'd need to get it recatogorised with the dvla and it'd be insured as a major modification which would put it way beyond even the quote you've had for the 182.

At 17 i'd say if you're hell bent on getting a 182 get a quote from admiral, greenlight, directline and the usual suspects like churchill etc.

I'd expect admiral to be the cheapest but greenlight normally run them close.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ive just bought a 182! ive been wanting one since the age of 18 but the insurance back then would of been at a premium so i decided to wait until I was 21 and have a couple years no claims behind me. Well worth the wait!
Its possible to make your clio to look similar to a 182 but it would come at a price and would be alot of work,but as Cue said,by the time you have insured all the mods on your Clio the insurance would be a crazy price! its not worth it!

Reaction score
To be honest mate at 17 I wouldnt bother with a 182, theyre a group 16 insurance IIRC, and you must have 0 NCB at the minute?

I agree with Gazza, you need to be keeping your pennies for now, it'll be worth it in the long run

Reaction score
Save your money, i was in the same boat as you I've always wanted a clio sport. I waited two years and purchased my Trophy at 19. Well worth the wait.

Reaction score
I was lead to believe that if i replaced all orignal parts with genuine renault parts, the insurance wouldnt go up at all, compared to fitting it with some chavved up 19" rims and a crappy bodykit

Am I wrong there?

Reaction score
i know it's not what you want to hear but i agree that you would be better off saving your money for something you really love in a couple of years, even if insurance not so much of a problem for the mods you want to do.

It's much more fun having something you can really enjoy 'out of the box' like a Trophy. if you do modify a car like a Trophy though, the money would be better spent than making a 1.2 Clio try to look like something it isn't. Sorry mate, bitter experience tells me you should wait. Patience.... what a bore! but all in a good cause.

Reaction score
I can see where your all coming from

If i did have something like a 182, i wouldnt even dare touch the styling of it, I simply love the look of any clio sport

I might have to give the engine a little tweak at some point

Whats anyones suggestions on getting the engine a bit more power..

Cheap but decent is what i like :)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
on a 1.2 I'd say just try and lighten it. they can be really fun with better brakes and suspension changes - no need for the extra power if you can save say 50 kgs.

I'd suggest that - it'll give you a better grasp of a FWD car's handling then when you do upgrade to something with more power you won't get as easily caught out.

If you move to RWD id suggest exactly the same then also, low power, better handling - get used to the traits of RWD then increase the power.

Not sure if you'll have heard about this, but about a month ago on the BMW forum some kid was driving his dads M5 was asking very similar questions to you - how to get more power.... he was 19 i think. Everyone on the site was saying the same thing, get used to the car first.

typically he didn't listen and ended up killing himself and 4 friends less than a week later.

'Young grasshopper, learning from other mistakes saves you making them'

may sound like no fun but believe me, in the right hands a low powered car is tremendous fun, my first car was a 1ltr nova and even though it was a shed, i still look back on that with very fond memories as I could explore the limits of it's road holding at speeds that meant when I got it wrong it wasn't going to kill me, or worse someone else.

Really good fun when it snowed. :)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
re engine mods, i'm not that familiar with the 1.2 so not sure on what you can do to release some more ponnies.

Reaction score
did i read it right that you got an ins quote of £7800 and you're still considering buying a 182?! :shock:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
FunkyMunky said:
did i read it right that you got an ins quote of £7800 and you're still considering buying a 182?! :shock:

No, that's what dissuaded him i think :wink: There was a guy over on CS recently who for fun got a quote for a Trophy.....................

£29,500

He probably mentioned he was on CS though :)

Reaction score
im 17 aswell, i got a mk1 clio 1.2, (so dnt rli fit in with this site, but ah well) and im doin exactly what cue an tht av bn saying, a few mods, nufin to big, save the money then, after a year or two, get the sport.

Reaction score
Learn to drive properly first :) Maybe get some coilovers & light weght 15's if you really want .... but a good, experienced driver in a 1.2, would probably wipe the floor with a nervous or womenly driver in a Trophy :wink:

Reaction score
haha yea, i love it, drivin 1.2 cos atm its just ryt, altho i wudnt mind a bit more power, but thatll come wit a new car in a year or two. i was looking at coilovers and springs, not to pricey, and some wheels aswell, will have to save some wages and splash out a little :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sir_Dave said:
Learn to drive properly first :) Maybe get some coilovers & light weght 15's if you really want .... but a good, experienced driver in a 1.2, would probably wipe the floor with a nervous or womenly driver in a Trophy :wink:

i'd love to disagree with this but i don't think i can... i've been in the Trophy when the wife's driven it and I think I could have run home faster lol. (I was very pissed at the time so super human speed was no problem) :lol:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
what did you go for in the end then... i presume you didn't pay nearly £30k for a car worth a 3rd of that lol.