Reaction score
duffer987 said:
Taking advice from avatars? :wink: BTW, if you like Trompe le Monde you should pick up Bluefinger, Frank's latest release :twisted:

OT Sorry

Ta for the heads up on the new CD, check out a band called 'The Breeders' also, its the two girls from the Pixies.

That's three fans then ;) although yours truly is listening to some cheesy Tribe Called Quest, IMHO another underrated group from the past, these boys show how to rap without reference to 'niggas' 'ho's' and 'caps in yo' ass' :D

"Lyrically I'm Mario Andretti on the Momo, ludicrously speedy and infectious on the slomo"

Reaction score
Trophy No.
texas john said:
duffer987 said:
Taking advice from avatars? :wink: BTW, if you like Trompe le Monde you should pick up Bluefinger, Frank's latest release :twisted:

OT Sorry

Ta for the heads up on the new CD, check out a band called 'The Breeders' also, its the two girls from the Pixies.

That's three fans then ;) although yours truly is listening to some cheesy Tribe Called Quest, IMHO another underrated group from the past, these boys show how to rap without reference to 'niggas' 'Ho's' and 'caps in yo' ass' :D

"Lyrically I'm Mario Andretti on the Momo, ludicrously speedy and infectious on the slomo"

WTFIGO! :shock:

Personally i prefer the earlier 4AD stuff Dead can dance, This mortal coil, Cocteau twins.
Shall we get this back on topic now, the poor guy's not going to know what the hell's going on :lol:

Reaction score
quick5ilver: you were nice enough to buy me a coffee though :wink: Kidding aside buying from a forum member is a good way of finding a car that will have been well looked after and generally speaking I'd think that Trophys will be better looked after than some of the used 182s you might see.

More name dropping OT stuff :wink:
I was fortunate/unfortunate enough to see their "last" gig in Vancouver back in April '92 when they did solo shows in between supporting U2. The opening act was brutal and the Pixies didn't come on till midnight, played for maybe an hour, didn't say a thing and there was no encore... no trouble there then :(
Saw them at Brixton Academy on their reunion tour and its amazing what time and a wheel barrel of cash can do... they were excellent! Saw Frank again just a couple months ago (he did a mini-tour of the west coast LA to Vancouver) in a small club and he rawked! Threw in some Pixies and old, old solo stuff to go with the new release.
Think The Breeders/The Amps good but not great pop tracks showed who was the "better" artist between Frank and Kim. Kinda like George Michaels and Andrew Ridgley once Wham broke up :shock: :lol:
Looks like we can have a Trophy meet at one of Frank's shows if he tours this summer :twisted:

Reaction score
lol - thread torpedoed by the Pixies appreciation society :D :lol:

I am sure the feller has the answer he wants though; buy a Trophy - if you can afford it :wink:

Reaction score
Ive got a clio 182 FF with cup packs in Black gold, cost me 7300 at 24k and a few minor kerb marks.

For me it was down to cost, a friend had a trophy, before sadly it was written off (495) and another friend owns one at present. I can honestly say i prefer the trophy, the capability of the car is superb, and after driving both Cupped FF and Trophy i can say the difference is noticable.

As a driving car buy the trophy.

However, im not displeased with my choice at all, the creature comforts like climate control, wipers the auto xenons and the leather back seats with head rests; i find are invaluable for day to day use, especially when you have passangers in the back you do want a bit of head protection for them.
By no means is the Cupped FF bad in the corners, it is still superb. On top of that black gold does look stunning on the 182.

Happy shopping!

Reaction score
Tried more or less all the 2.0 clio models before going for the Trophy - thought i'd prefer the 182 FF (especially at my age :lol: ) tbh, but after trying the Trophy there was no question in my mind it was the best option.

Personally, after the Trophy, I recon the 172 Cup is next best alternative and that would be in your price range without any extra debt/loan/etc.

Reaction score
I even fancy selling the Trophy to buy a 172 cup!!

Reckon it would be an excellent low maintenance vehicle.

Reaction score
I think everyone on this site is going to say get the trophy, since that's the whole point to the site, but EVO magazine, in their Car of the Year 2005 rated the trophy as the best real-world car 8) . They then put it head to head against real exotica (think Porche 911's etc) and it came second :shock: . I can't think of a better recomendation then that

Reaction score
Here here!!

Last week on my return journey from Edinburgh I had some banter with three Porsche Boxter drivers. The Trophy more than kept up with them on the straights and gained in the corners. I easily left them.

Reaction score
As I've said before, it is the best handling car I've ever driven. It goes around bends frighteningly well.

I could never throw the Z4 or S2000 around like this. The only thing that comes close is the 205 or 106 GTis and the (classic, 80s) modded Minis I owned.

I've driven a Boxster and they really are sublime but I would say the Clio is much more 'chuckable'. 182 power to weight is probably the same (as non-S Boxsters) so it is no surprise you kept up quite well.

I can get along the lanes just as quick if not quicker than the Z4 3.0i I came from. MPG is not much different mind, the BMs really are very good for a 3.0 in the lighter cars.

People on here are likely to say Trophy and on CS likely to recommend either.

It's probably not a £4000-£5000 better car than a 172cup or early 182 but that said the gap is much smaller if you are looking at £7000-8000 FFs and for me the extra expenditure was worth it, it is noticeable.

Reaction score
vamos said:
I am sort of wrestling with the same question, but I think my mind is made up. I want a Trophy :lol:

And you have all pretty much confirmed it too. How can I not take advice from a man who has Trompe le Monde as his avatar. :wink:

Brilliant album, brilliant band. No Pixies - No Nirvana.

The same could be said of someone with a 996 GT3 RS on the 'Ring as his avatar. Arguably the best Porsche ever made, if for no other reason than it's got a transfer for it's bonnet badge to save weight! I bet they're still laughing in Stuttgart about that now.

Edit - Oh yeah, buy a Trophy. Best hot hatch ever made and I'm not biased as I don't even own one.