Reaction score
So much less messy than my fiesta! Sump plug is dead vertical so the oil comes out dead straight, not a drop going on the drive. Silkolene Pro S 5w-40 thanks to opie oils plus a new filter which was the messiest bit, awkward to get to but at least it doesn't flow down your arm! Just made the 6month deadline for oil changes that i've decided on, only 4.5k miles, gota look after it haven't you!

Reaction score
I cant believe how ridiculous the oil filter is to get off, unless you have arms like an ethiopian its impossible! did you just take the little plug out of the plastic sump guard or take the whole thing off?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Best to take the whole thing off, that way you avoid trapping a puddle of oil which will then almost certainly dribble out onto someone's newly laid, antique brick driveway.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
it's easier to remove the filter if you remove the fuel rail first - as in the guide in our sub section. 2 or 3 bolts and a minute or so....

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Best to take the whole thing off, that way you avoid trapping a puddle of oil which will then almost certainly dribble out onto someone's newly laid, antique brick driveway.
Ye thats pretty much what i did ha!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
oil should be changed according to driving conditions and time the engine has been run - normally by mileage. i generally do it every 6 months although it's been 8 months so far since my last change as i've been waiting for a couple of things being needed to be done and just get them all sorted in one go.

Reaction score
I changed mine last week but i was stumped at the square fitting on the plug!! Got everything up in the air and taken all the bits off as well! :shock:

And yes i dont think you can get the filter off without the spilling oil everywhere!

Reaction score
lol, i have thin arms despite lifting furniture all day and was able to get a halfords 'pro' oil filter tool in the space and undo it, then re-tighten with hand, i think the lack of space in there means people can't over-tighten the filter and makes it easier to remove.

I just removed the round cover, the oil from the filter does run down and start leaking out of this hole, just left newspaper underneath for the night to catch it. It will need a good clean when the cover does come off but it's only oil.

Oil was looking a bit black but still relatively golden. Most important thing imo for keeping an engine running for as long as possible. My old fez got 6monthly changes and is on 115k miles with no work on oil related parts and doesn't burn any either.

alright sam, it's an 8mm square plug, socket from halfords for £4. But as you said you changed it i guess you now know!!

Reaction score
Mine must not be 8mm because i bought an 8mm one and it didnt fit which made me more angry! I ended up borrowing a renault tool friend a friend who used to work for them.