Reaction score
Evening people,

had a rather concerning visit from a neighbour around an hour ago. She was looking out of her window and saw a cruddy, old darkblue A4 estate pull up a few yards down from our houses. Apparently the two blokes in it looked very shifty and kept looking down at something between them and then at the drives where the cars are sat.

Then she saw the passenger of the two point something out of the window and distinctly point a remote transmitter (she knows cause she could see a red light blinking) at the Trophy
She came straight round to tell me, after she had been down the road after it once it took off to try and catch the reg but it had gone.

I have been meaning to get a tracker for a while, as after getting stopped by the rozzers earlier in the year (seatbelt!) they told me that 3 or 4 other RS clios had been pinched in the last few months, all within a 10mile radius of my place. Maybe this will make me get my butt in gear and get a tracker put on it.

I know virtually anything is possible these days, but is it possible to 'map' a key to enable it to work with another car? Bit worried now TBH...

Reaction score
the trophy has a thacham grade 1 alarm ( i think ) that means amongst other things it uses a rolling code on the transmitter, so the code cant be "grabbed"... But i havent heard of anyone doing this for years, we use rolling code technology at work and as far as i'm aware its still secure.
but if your car is still locked and alarmed then i would imagine the "black box" has done nothing,
if you have a steering wheel lock then maybe stick it on for the time being,

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Also you need the key to disengage the immobilizer, or does the blip do that?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Does any other 182 other than the Trophy have a Thacham alarm fitted as standard.?

Reaction score
Im fairly sure all 182s have a Thatcham alarm well the last 182 cup i looked at did. and i think the blip does turn off the immobilizer.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was just thinking that if 3 or 4 RS Clio's have been stolen around the area then there may be no reason why they cant steal the Trophy.

Reaction score
Depends how they where stolen, most seem to go for the keys these days by breaking into the house.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Dan493 said:
Im fairly sure all 182s have a Thatcham alarm well the last 182 cup i looked at did. and i think the blip does turn off the immobilizer.

Not trying to be difficult here (for once) but if the blip turns it off why the immobiliser ring around the key barrel?

Reaction score
oh right well i may be wrong but i know with my old megane the blip definately turned it off and it had a very similar key although it wasn't thatcham approved so that may be the difference.

Reaction score
The blip doesn't doesn't turn off the immobilizer, the key has a coded transponder in it that deactivates the immobiliser when you place the key in the ignition and turn to position 1. The car won't start without your key, hence why alot of car theives break into houses to get the cars keys. The Clio has CAT2 security with the immobiliser as the alarm doesn't meed CAT1 standards.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Jonc said:
The Clio has CAT2 security with the immobiliser as the alarm doesn't meed CAT1 standards.

That's a bit of a worry, where did that info come from? I've always been led to believe the security on the T is Cat 1, even in sofar that these automatic online insurance fill it in as Cat1.
I say this as it's insured with a Cat 1 alarm system as are probably all on here. I'm gonna have to check my details now :(

Reaction score
I remember quite a few years ago there was people turning certain BMW alarms off with the Casio TV remote control watches (completely true) not to worry you or anything :) na im sure theres nothing to worry about, theres pretty much only 2 ways to pinch a modern car nowadays, low loader and pinching the keys. And dont put your trust in a steering lock they're utter rubbish

Reaction score
I had heard that the mk2 was a Cat 2 alarm, but it wasn't on the best authority.

I did wonder if they might be after the reg (T700 PHY) but from what my neighbour saw she didnt see any sort of camera, just a medium-sized key fob type gizmo with a bright red blinking light on it.

Anyway, 007 spent the night at it's Grans last night about 1/2 mile down the road, tucked away by the house being blocked in by a Ford Explorer and a VW Sharan. So they'd have to have been bloody determined to get her last night.

Bit concerned though about each night at home until i get something to put on the wheel. It's not just the fact that it'll cost me my insurance excess of £550 and the whole inconvenience of it, but more that if it goes, Trophy 007 cannot ever be replaced.

Gonna get tracker in over the next few days as well so i'll keep posting the progress and 'if' anything happens